And it might even be a better idea if you have a signed doctors note explaining why you need that much medication. What happens if you take someone else's prescription? Sometimes, we may also carry some medication that were prescribed by a doctor for emergency. Browse other questions tagged, Start here for a quick overview of the site, Detailed answers to any questions you might have, Discuss the workings and policies of this site. Do you intend to procure the medicines yourself from some reputable source or did your friend already provide you with a package? "We're focused on security and searching for things that are dangerous on the airplane," said Mark . Also, some states have restrictions on some types of substances and can violate the rules. If you have an outrageous amount of medication on you then you might be subject to additional screening. @Ivan yeah, that's why I said "some" - I'd rather they checked themselves to make sure it's legal there. Very few pharmacies can fill a foreign prescription, and this is determined on a state-by-state basis. In fact, it is against the law to send any type of illegal drug, whether that is marijuana, heroin or even a prescription drug for which you have a valid prescription. The meds need to be kept cold too. One interesting thing about prescriptions is that if you forget your ID you can actually use your prescription labels to help verify your identity. When packing pills or medication I would try to keep them organized in a clear plastic bag just to make things easy at all times. Since 2014, his content has been featured in major publications such as National Geographic, Smithsonian Magazine, Forbes, CNBC, US News, and Business Insider. there is a chance for these kinds of medicines to have potentially addictive drugs or some narcotic substances. Thank you so much. Does TSA allow over the counter medication on a plane? You can check FedEx Guidelines for Importing Medicines to US, Now that we have looked at the entire guidance by all the three agencies and major question, lets look at some common FAQs. You MUST carry valid doctor prescription or doctor note for all medicines. If you need to keep yourmedication refrigerated you can use ice packs, freezer packs, gel packs, and other accessories to keep your medication cool. Quick Answer: Can You Travel With Someone Elses Prescription. In general, FDA does not allow importing of medicines for personal use in US as they cannot really evaluate the same for safety. I have been doing this for several years and have never been asked about my medication or to show prescriptions. Medication is allowed in pill or solid form in unlimited amounts as long as it is screened. Read more about traveling internationally with medication here. If your medications or devices are not in their original containers, you must have a copy of your prescription with you or a letter from your doctor. If you plan to ship your medicines, you need to submit documentation of Doctor prescription in English, Copy of your Visa, Letter from Doctor invoice, Invoice and other supporting info as needed. Using drugs is never safe. how you carry your controlled medicines. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. Mark: when my wife and I were in India we could buy any medicine we want without prescription. These documents can help you navigate . Learn more about Stack Overflow the company, and our products. What was the Doctors name? 2. Using someone else's prescription drug can lead to overdose and increase your risk of prescription drug use disorder. Dont unnecessarily put yourself in a position that exposes you to severe legal penalties. Indeed it is not, it is not a prescription drug almost anywhere on the planet. I am going from Missouri to Maine soon and cant seem to find any definite information on whether or not I need to carry the original prescription bottles or not. And they dont even require you to show your prescription for drugs. 1. If you have questions about bringing other types of items through TSA airport security screening (like food or alcohol), make sure to check out the articles below: Yes, prescription medication is allowed on planes. Preparing for air travel can be stressful. Im travelling to Dublin by aeroplane and I take over the counter co codomal painkillers for my back am I allowed these in my luggage. Also, its a good idea for your medications to be labeled to facilitate the security process. You can only carry no more than 90 days of medicines. They may not be available at all in the UK, even if legitimate. So, this is a grey area and very subjective. dflu.ie@homeoffice.gov.uk . VERY RISKY. I'd be asking questions. If you are traveling with medication and have questions about the airport checkpoint . No need to give them any reasons. Let each person hold their own on thisthe name on the prescription for every drug you take, should be your own. Even prescription drugs may have side-effects or be harmful if not taken properly. Hi, I would advise you not to declare them, as it would open a huge can of worms that you to not want to open! Take prescription medicine until it's finished, or your doctor says it's all right to stop. I take 11 prescriptions daily, so I put my pills in a 8-day travel medication wallet that has small ziplocks for each day. Codeine, methadone, morphine, and oxycodone are common prescription medications that North Carolina considers schedule II-controlled substances. There may be some restrictions as some drugs in other countries can have substances that are prohibited in US. Traveling with prescription drugs doesn't have to be a chore, but it does require a bit of thought before you pack them. If some of the medicines you carry are like cough medicines, sleeping pills, antidepressants, stimulants, etc. If not, then honesty is far less risky. Generally speaking, you're allowed to fly with prescribed medicine in . The penalty for possession may have a harsher impact than you expect. Chances are you will be fine without the pill bottles. The mere fact that the friend is offering a prescription might not mean the medications are controlled, but it might. Instead, TSA will allow you to bring in reasonable quantities for the flight. This is a subjective definition here so there is going to be room for agent discretion. If you bring your medication as a carry-on you should not be required to show or declare that you are bringing medication, unless you are bringing liquid medication or certain other types of medical instruments like syringes. These are your open personal medications, you have them in the original pharmacy containers along with a DR's note in small quantities. It would be a good idea to do a test run to see how long your packs can stay refrigerated, especially if you are going to be dealing with a long layover or flight. Therefore if you are planning to travel through the airport with your medication you may not have as difficult a time as you may have imagined. You can travel with prescription drugs or medication in both carry-on and checked baggage. Medically required liquids will be subject to additional screening that could include being asked to open the container. Using someone elses prescription drug can lead to overdose and increase your risk of prescription drug use disorder. Below, I will go through some of the most common restrictions that might apply to you and tell you how you can go about them when flying with medication. Can you possess someone elses prescription? Reddit and its partners use cookies and similar technologies to provide you with a better experience. Do not risk anything, where it is not needed. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. The airspace you'll be traveling through is considered federal territory; hence, why it can't come on your flight. You should check with FDA or CBP. If you're staying longer than 90 days, you may have . What is the penalty for sharing prescription drugs? The key to making the drugs legal is the prescription written out to a specific person only. TSA does not have a limit on the amount of medication that you can bring on a plane whenever the medication is in solid form, such as pills. At customs I would go thru the green door and in the rare instance they would pull you out you can show them your doctor notice. Are over 60 years old. I would recommend taking all prescription medications with you on boar always, in their original pill bottles, in a clear zip lock baggie in your carry on. Consider your physical and mental health before you travel. If you take drugs not prescribed to you and have an unexpected serious reaction, no one will know what you took, which can delay treatment. The likelihood that your friend actually knows whether or not the medicines are permitted imports to the UK is not high. By clicking Accept all cookies, you agree Stack Exchange can store cookies on your device and disclose information in accordance with our Cookie Policy. TSA will allow you to bring your medication onto a plane via carry-on or checked baggage. Except when dispensed directly by a practitioner, other than a pharmacist, to an ultimate user, no controlled substance in schedule II, which is a prescription drug as determined under the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act [ 21 U.S.C. Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. In such cases, you need to declare all such medications to the CBP officials and they need to be in original containers. Just remember that the rules pertaining to liquids will apply to OTC drugs. Prescription drugs may be sent through mail if the mailer or receiver is exempt from DEA registration by being and performing as military, civil defense and law enforcement personnel. If TSA does notice your liquids or you tell them about them, the medically required liquids will be subjected to additional screening that could include being asked to open the container. Call Sullivan Law at 910-250-9289 or get started by sending an email. We are leaving in two days so Id appreciate a quick answer. ICE has given a list of drugs by category that are allowed and that require special authorization. Sending a prescription is otherwise prohibited for citizens. Do prescription drugs have to be in original containers when flying internationally? What are the rules for flying with prescription medication? You can only bring enough prescription drugs for the duration of your stay in the Philippines. Should you tell your criminal defense attorney everything? His accolades include: 2016 Superior DUI Attorney ranking for fourth consecutive year by the National Advocacy for DUI Defense, 2016 Public Service Award for Legal Aid of North Carolina, 2015 10 Best Client Satisfaction Award by the American Institute of DUI/DWI Attorneys, 2015 Top 10 Ranking by the National Academy of Family Law Attorneys, 2013 Finalist for Best Attorney in Cape Fear region by Wilmington Star News. The court will often consider things like the amount of medication in your possession or the type of medication officers find you with. There are some exceptions, notably psychostimulants (Ritalin etc) and arabian nations. I would just get a Doctors Notice that states you need this medication and it should be fine. The second-most common were breathing issues and then the third-most common were GI or gastrointestinal-related issues, such as nausea and vomiting." "These aircraft . It may melt slightly, so I drink that and replace the cap. These two answers are not the same: yes, this bag here has some drugs my friend arranged for me to bring. rule-enforcing customs official, or perhaps your bag is randomly selected for inspection. You'll need to carry proof that the medication is prescribed to you (for example a letter from your doctor or a copy of your prescription) if it's both: in liquid form in a container larger . (Also, in my home country, Spain, you can get most medicines with other person prescription and a signed authorization). For the prescription meds, I would also try to bring the prescription. As you can probably tell, TSA rules regarding medication are actually pretty lenient. Finally, on any flight, you're asked if 1) you're carrying something for someone else and 2) whether you're carrying restricted items such as medicine/drugs. We have information for yourself or immediate family members travelling with you. So, they generally do not approve import of medicines, unless they fall under some exceptions. Are pregnant or have had a baby in the past 12 months. You can travel with your medication in both carry-on and checked baggage. Ascribing a gender to this medication makes me a lot more suspicious of it. But thats just my hunch. Drug and Firearms Licensing Unit. If you have any questions as to whether a specific pharmaceutical may be imported into the United States, visit the FDA's website, or call (301) 796-0356. I also take a frozen bottle of water without a problem. She can't be honest, or she wouldn't be asking you to show officials a fake prescription which just coincidentally keeps her out of the picture if things turn sour. It could probably help your cause if you can explain your dosage requirements in relation to the quantity of medication you are bringing. Share your thoughts, experiences. Hi I have to take can Fexofenadine , and have to wash with Hydromel Cream lotion this only comes in a plastic pump bottle will they let me go through with these. Below is the summary of the experience shared by user on social media. should be carried in Cabin Baggage and not in Checked Baggage. New, Renewal? Now, there is no clear guidance given by FDA or CBP that tells that you can carry medicines for someone else, be it your friends or immediate family.