A graduate of Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary and adjunct at Baylor Universitys Truett Theological Seminary, West said he planned to withdraw from his current doctoral studies at Southwestern and will not associate with the SBC any longer. Sign up with your email address to receive news and updates. Your tax-deductible gift helps our journalists report the truth and hold Christian leaders and organizations accountable. Their stand against racism rings hollow when in their next breath they reject theories that have been helpful in framing the problem of racism, he wrote, disappointed that the presidents would come together to speak out against it rather than turning their criticism toward other ills such a racism itself. Meeks' retirement comes at a time when many longtime church leaders have been transitioning out of leadership as they contend with dwindling attendance and other ministry upheavals laid bare by the COVID-19 pandemic. Facebook/Progressive Baptist Church of Chicago, Pastor Charlie Dates (R) and Rev. Thats not always the case when you assume a pastorate. That philosophy has weakened whatever prophetic potential the SBC has. But the bones are good. Its time for a young generation to come forward with new challenges facing us.. And the same for Salem, which might still have it. Dr. Charlie Dates is widely invited to preach at churches, conferences and universities throughout the United States. Are there things at Progressive you will have to step away from? His decision came two days after West made a similar argument in a Baptist Standard op-ed. I would rather not compare them, only because I wouldnt want to say the wrong thing and have someone read it and judge my intent. Also, while there are many people in the comment section who rightfully call him to repent over it, there are plenty of others, including names such as Lecrae and Kyle J Howard, who tweeted their approval of his use of the slur. He served three terms as an Illinois state senator, was chairman of the state board of education, and ran in Chicagos 2011 mayoral race. I ADORE Charlie Dates. And if you think it feels good, warm and fuzzy to be confronted about your sin when youre in the middle of grief, you are VERY mistaken. Give a gift of $30 or more to The Roys Report this month, and you will receive a copy of "Escaping the Maze of Spiritual Abuse" by Dr. Lisa Oakley and Justin Humphreys. I wonder how many of them provide full time paychecks. Progressives buildings were built without a dime of debt at a time where Black people could not get a loan from a bank. RELATED: Southern Baptist seminary presidents nix critical race theory. As for me and the Progressive Baptist Church, I keep hearing the words of Harriet Tubman: We out.. If you sense the malaise around Christian denominations, then you already yearn for a new vision and a new standard. Ill become senior pastor of both the Salem Baptist Church of Chicago and remain that at Progressive.. If, however, I fail to get the churches to see that our history serves our present and inspires our future, then Im in trouble. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. Charlie Dates named successor to James Meeks at 10K-member Salem Baptist Church of Chicago. When Albert Mohler, the president of the Southern Baptist Seminary, said the only politically moral option for Christians was the Republican Party, I asked other SBC leaders, good Christian men, to challenge him. Other uncategorized cookies are those that are being analyzed and have not been classified into a category as yet. Pastor Charlie Dates of Progressive Baptist Church in Chicago lamented, "This is a very tiring conversation, not simply because of the events of recent weeks, but because this has been a 401-year . I dont see anything wrong with loving those who Christ calls us to love, which includes our brothers and sisters in Christ (that includes pastors). In a video message to Progressive, Dates said the two churches will stay distinct, though hell pastor them both. Marin "We want to see our church be vibrant. 11,909 were here. The beauty of this narrative is that the Lord, in his kindness and his grace, has taken pastors and churches to develop me. fellowship and personal friendship, could have been met by a holy man of Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, or any other world religionor by a secular counselor or self-help advocate. The resolution clarified the theory could be employed, but only subordinate to Scripture.. Mohler, to take one example, endorsed a philandering, racist president, thereby betraying his Black and brown Christian family. For questions or to reach his office, please email booking@progressivechicago.org. Saddleback Church doubles down on support for female pastors, Mormonisms slow shift away from demonizing working mothers, Faith leaders urge Biden to sign executive order for reparations study by Juneteenth, For many congregations, wiping out medical debt has become a popular calling. Get new articles and breaking news delivered to your inbox. James Meeks announced Sunday that Pastor Charlie Dates of Progressive Baptist Church in Chicago will succeed him as leader of the 10,000-member Salem Baptist Church of Chicago when he steps out of the role in January 2023. Religion News Service reported that Fred Luter, the only black SBC president, signed on in agreement. 53 min; FEB 8, 2023 "Can't Turn . Well, the Stewardship Ministry at ProgressiveChicago is excited to partner with The YWCA and Liberty Bank to offer a 6 hour in-person or virtual homebuyer's workshop. Dates, 41, is a graduate of Salem's now-closed Salem Christian Academy. So, I propose to you that we need a new organism, not led in full by white men; a Christian collective that makes room for the essentials of the faith and the diversity of the Church; a robust engine that finances the impoverished sides of the Church, speaks justice courageously to the government and cares gently for the oppressed, marginalized and women. How did they, who in 2020 still dont have a single Black denominational entity head, reject once and for all a theory that helps to frame the real race problems we face? In 2011, Reverend Dates became the youngest Senior Pastor to serve the historic Progressive Baptist Church of Chicago, which saw exponential growth under his leadership. Im working to discern Gods direction as it relates to timing of when to conclude. Charlie served as an apprentice to Pastor K. Edward Copeland and started his formal, practical training at the New Zion Baptist Church of Rockford, Illinois. And while Progressive is a large congregation (around 1000 members), it doesnt come close to Salem (which has about 10,000). And I dont even go to Progressive, which is less than 15 minutes from my home (closer than my current church home). They do not understand themselves to be beneficiaries of a system that marginalizes people of color.". On one hand, Progressive is what I would call progressively traditional, and Salem is traditionally progressive. I just only pray he does not become spread too thin by leading two large churches. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. Welcome to the weekly podcast of Progressive Baptist Church with Pastor and Author, Dr. Charlie Dates. James Meeks next year as senior pastor of Salem Baptist Church one of Chicago's biggest megachurches. That would just be weird. Dr. Charlie Dates will take his place. To correct us from repeating errors and to inspire and to encourage us to pursue Gods great promise. Preachers and teachers are there to instruct and shape us much like secular, academic teachers/professors. I think the distinction is that I can serve Salem well by loving her through the preaching ministry and pastoral care, and she will follow. To be clear, the SBC has some longstanding, credible Black pastors in its tribe, and I dont mean the kind who are tokens or assimilators. When I came to Progressive, it took me a while to actually get my feet under me because of some of the history and nature of the church, and it required a lot of patience and long-suffering initially. If we could look at the current moment and seize the opportunity to develop young people that God has laid his hand upon, then I think the best days of the church, in this critical culture, are in front of us. Amen to thateven if the pastor in question is the Godliest guy on the planet to start with, which is seldom if ever the case. "It's Alright to Cry"| Pastor Charlie Dates | Progressive Chicago by Pastor Charlie Dates. Progressive Baptist Church. Thats their choice. Its the same approach that created President Donald Trump, that makes sure that no Republican leader will challenge him publicly. They would not. Butand this is no secretfor years it stayed in the vein of its history. I will admit to knowing very little about Charlie Dates, but what Gus Chiggins posted is extremely concerning. Progressive Baptist Church is part of the Organizations industry, and located in Illinois, United States. But as 2020 went on, I grew increasingly uneasy. Give a gift of $30 or more to The Roys Report this month, and you will receive Escaping the Maze of Spiritual Abuse by Dr. Lisa Oakley and Justin Humphreys. Chicago needs the Black church to be her best and brightest self. No one knows. I see the Pauline example in the Gospel of teachers/leaders being figures that we seek and respect for guidance and direction and boundaries, and not necessarily the same functions that friends and family (in or outside of the church) perform. So it is Biblical for a leader to have a large flock. Our seminaries, many of them are in decline. But there is nothing wrong with loving those who I do have personal relationships with, and have really left an impact on my faith, family, and heart.. Progressive is a church of five generations. Could you describe your relationship with Meeks? We were already working with the SBC on a training program at our church, and almost all of the Illinois Baptist State and SBC national leaders I had met seemed aware that their forefathers fell woefully short of any standard of biblical justice. How did they, who in 2020 still dont have a single Black denominational entity head, reject once and for all a theory that helps to frame the real race problems we face? Dates wrote in an op-ed Friday for the Religion News Service. We are hosting our New Member Orientation known as 'Connection Institute.' I dont come out of thin air to either church; you can trace my lineage. In all that, he can never be criticized within his ranks. Yeah thats in bad form. Both Meeks and Dates also have a connection to the Moody Bible Institute. But Pastor Dates said, I know you probably dont like me right now, I can tell from how youre reacting to what Im saying; but Im not here to get you to like me. How has he influenced you? I believe now that the time has come for me to yield to a younger person.. Dates graduated from Salem Baptists Christian school, which has since closed. In January 2023, Reverend Dates became the Senior Pastor of the Salem Baptist Church of Chicago. He hijacked the affirmation meeting of the Baptist Faith & Message, turning it into a conservative resurgence revival. Some in our ranks inappropriately use the label of CRT! to avoid legitimate questions or as a cudgel to dismiss any discussion of discrimination. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Other. In a video posted Monday, Meeks called Dates the greatest preacher in our nation., The Bible says one man planteth and another man watereth, and God giveth the increase, he said in the video, with his wife Jamell Meeks, director of Salems womens ministries, at his side. Atlanta pastor John Onwuchekwa left the SBC over the summer due to concerns over its approach to racial issues. Also, any comments with profanity, name-calling, and/or a nasty tone will be deleted. Yesterday, Charlie Dates, the Senior Pastor at Chicago's Progressive Baptist Church, gave a powerful biblical message addressing the recent killings of Auhmad Aubrey, Breonna Taylor, and George Floyd. We use cookies on our website to give you the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences and repeat visits. Who Will Pay for the SBCs Abuse Reforms Over the Long Term? These cookies ensure basic functionalities and security features of the website, anonymously. It's time for Salem to have younger leadership. He and his wife, Kirstie, have two children. Opinion: What is Revivaland is it Happening at Asbury? We are partnering with The Chicago Partnership to present this opportunity to the South Side! "It's time for Salem to move forward. - Charlie Dates, pastor of Progressive Baptist Church in Chicago, a church aligned with the Progressive National Baptist Convention, a mostly Black denomination, and also with the Illinois Baptist State Association, which is an SBC affiliate. In 2006, he began serving as the primary . And while we are kind of watching this great falling away, we dont have to merely watch it. None of our denominations, Black or white, are as relevant and biblically prophetic as our present age requires. The Rev. To enjoy our website, you'll need to enable JavaScript in your web browser. 2023 ChurchLeaders.com, All rights reserved. But you seem determined to dismiss or belittle it in some sort of attempt to insult the Dates and me. A religious liberty newsletter that is a must-read for people of faith. Functional cookies help to perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collect feedbacks, and other third-party features. . All rights reserved. Meeks recalls meeting Dates when Dates was in the 5th grade. "We can multiply that in evangelism, in discipleship, in educating our kids in reducing violence, shutting down liquor stores and opening up new opportunities to help rescue families and that's the church being the church.". Not able to make? Senior Pastor at Progressive Baptist Church - Chicago . With teary eyes, I just told them I hope that they accept my recommendation when that time comes. So Im not in a position to speak on that. The Social Justice Ministry is here to help through our Gospel Justice Center Legal Clinic. Thats the old SBC. But I do sense and feel that a lot of the progress that Ive been able to make in the pastorate is connected in some way to his tutelage, his leadership, and his spiritual fathering, so to speak. Both of them have produced some stalwart Christian leaders and teachers. Dates preaches at the 2019 African American Preaching Conference. Your tax-deductible gift helps our journalists report the truth and hold Christian leaders and organizations accountable. I dont need to be Einstein to understand that with all these jobs he is not truly doing any of them full time. Every church that lives in the past is already anchoring itself in the graveyard of history. He teaches preaching at Wheaton College and serves as an Affiliate Professor of the Baylor University George W. Truett Theological Seminary and as Affiliate . Dr. Charlie Edward Dates is Senior Pastor at Progressive Baptist Church in Chicago, IL. We are not merging the two churches and Salem is not absorbing Progressive, Dates said. Salem has its own kind of DNA, Progressive her own . I dont know why; perhaps thats an attitude YOU need to pray about. Salem has not lost its relevance, Salem has not lost its edge, while maintaining a very high view of Scripture and its very Christo-centric approach to ministry. Help keep The Christian Post free for everyone by making a one-time donation today. Its evangelism, its benevolence, its disciple-making have all been very Christo-centric and rooted in the Scriptures. It was the first time to my knowledge that white evangelicals had celebrated in concert the life, memory and work of the Rev. Just, wow. My response to the above is that that kind of filling of your personal needs, i.e. Raised on the southside of Chicago, he came of age having welcomed Christ into his life early. In addition, the 41-year-old also served under Meeks as primary preaching assistant, pastor of adult ministries, and director of church operations at Salem Baptist before becoming senior pastor at Progressive Baptist Church in 2011. When we make one man or woman our everything, bad things are bound to happen. I want to say it is an honor to even be considered, let alone asked, to succeed the Reverend James T. Meeks. SBC events and church planting have grown more diverse over the past decade as leaders made a concerted effort to feature and invest in non-Anglo pastors. I dont know if Id recommend this to anybody. How will your role there look different? If you have legal questions, attorneys will be available to help you at the legal clinic. He's trained to fight the giants that we're dealing with today. On March 27-28, Dates will give a sermon and lecture at Samford University for the Department of Biblical and Religious Studies annual Dotson M. Nelson Lecture. Speaking with CT, Dates drew parallels to Paul and Timothy, referencing Pauls instructions to the younger leader based on what he had witnessed firsthand in ministry. With no repentance of any kind and such bald-faced pride in his sin, it bears questioning whether Dates ever had a regenerative, salvific transformation in his heart to begin with. Im still surprised Charlie Dates wasnt forced to step down after he publicly used a racial slur against Virgil Walker on social media last year. He also teaches at Wheaton College and has delivered chapel sermons at various institutions, including The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. You talked a bit about both churches significance to Chicago. What challenges do you anticipate with the dynamic of pastoring two congregations? Perhaps you are taking on a worldly definition of love? Gleannings aggregates what others are reporting. Respect and admire if they are capable, yes. And if you have a testimony of the amazing things God is doing in your life through our ministry, please email it to info@progressivechicago.org. Sarah Einselen is an award-winning writer and editor based in Texas. How are you hoping to continue to cultivate that with both congregations? Toward that end, the site requires that people use their full name when commenting. . I cant speak much about Salem Baptist Church (other than its known in the Black community here in Chicago due to its sheer size), but I do know Progressive. We want to see our church grow. . Many cannot even define what CRT is, he tweeted. Do you know what I mean by ministering to me? 3658 SOUTH WENTWORTH AVENUE, CHICAGO, IL, 60609, 773-268-6048 | INFO@PROGRESSIVECHICAGO.ORG. Charlie Dates serves as the senior pastor at Progressive Baptist Church and teaches at Moody Bible Institute as an adjunct professor. I do know it is a debate in the Black community about using certain colorist or racially-charged terms against each other. In his June 19 sermon, he told congregants hes retiring as of January 15, 2023, and the Rev. Meeks and his wife say they don't want to stand in the next generation's way. Walk-ins are welcome but appointments are preferred. It is good that you were ministered to personally by your pastor. Do you have a birthday or anniversary next month? What happend to your, well Jesus called the Pharisees wolves and a whole lot other mean words' defense (like when Trump called people sons of b*tches and a**holes)? We need new ideas. If that is YOUR definition of ministering to someone (because that is the language I used, and you jumped to that conclusion), YOU need to revisit it. He announced Sunday he'll preach his last sermon to the 10,000-member church on January 8, 2023. Sign up for our newsletter: That Salem is a loving church ready to work. Charlie Dates is the Senior Pastor of Progressive Baptist Church in Chicago, IL. The hard reality of the seminary presidents statement is that Black people will never gain full equality in the Southern Baptist Convention. In 2011, at age 30, he became the youngest Senior Pastor in Progressive's rich 99-year history. They both, in that regard, have a history of absolutely incredible pastors. Part of what Im learning and discerning about Gods direction for ones life is to pay close attention to the bend of ones spiritual biography. The theory came up in a controversial resolution that passed at the SBCs 2019 annual meeting, when Greear was elected. Perhaps I need to know whats defined as a megachurch? He was elected in March by an overwhelming majority, the largest vote received by any pastor in Progressive's rich history. I dont even know what sort of issue Dates had with whoever (again, Im rarely on social media), but even I can spot your bias here. CT interviewed him about the history of the two congregations and his call to lead Salem Baptist. Before his call to Progressive, he served as an apprentice pastor at New Zion Baptist Church in Rockford, Illinois, and as a pastor at Salem Baptist Church in Chicago. Christian Rocker Posts Stunning Response to Recent Apostasy of Christian Leaders, Chicago Radio Host & a Former Bodyguard Say James MacDonald Asked Them to Arrange Murders, James MacDonald Took Millions from Harvest & Now Demands Broadcast Ministry, Mancow Airs Shocking Comments By James MacDonald: My Response. We meet every second Saturday, March 11, 2023 at 9:00 am. I cant speak for them. Salem Baptist is one of several megachurches whose pastors are passing the baton. There is no such thing as the Old Southern Baptists.. I imagine they provide cover for the SBC leadership to further alienate Black and brown Christians who do not ascribe to their heritage of dangerous conservatism. Would a right-wing famous pastor like Voddie Baucham or Rob Jeffress be able to get away with using racial slurs??? This was why I felt it safe to forge an alliance. Charlie E. Dates was presented to the church in February 2011. Let us know how we can pray for you and your family. Meeks has been activeand sometimes controversialin the community. Were living in a time where so many young people are walking away from the church and where church attendance numbers are in the dumps. (Dr. Charlie Edward Dates is the senior pastor at Chicagos Progressive Baptist Church. Charlie earned an M.Div. Pastor Charlie Dates is the Senior Pastor of The Progressive Baptist Church in Chicago, Illinois. The young pastor said he had to convince his members that joining the denomination for the sake of mission partnerships would be a good move. When I came back home to Southwestern, I even encouraged other ministers to do the same. The two pastors brought up recognizing the reality of systemic racism alongside the truth and authority of Scripture. Pastor Charlie Dates speaks at Progressive Baptist Church in Chicago. The recent departures caught the attention of Southern Baptist leaders who were disappointed to see them go, particularly fellow African Americans. Dr. Charlie Dates . The only outcome can be from their life experience, which really ignores the broader family of Southern Baptists.. My acknowledgement of this is not a statement of submission, but an act of defiance. To donate, becoming Progressives youngest-ever senior pastor, The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, Chicago Unity Service Brings Together Christians Across Ethnic Lines, Chicago Pastor James Meeks Bids Tearful Farewell After 38 Years at Salem Baptist, Tennessee Charity Walk to Fund Needed Wells Persists Despite Rainy Conditions, Eden Village Ministry Aims to End Homelessness Through Tiny Home Communities, Gateway Seminary to Fund Short-Term Mission Trips for All Students, Vineyard Pastor Resigns, Wont Cooperate With Probe Into Sons Alleged Misconduct, Why Businessman Peter Chung Matters for the Future of The Kings College. On one hand, the legacy has to continue. As I prayed through it, Reverend Meeks and I wrestled with it, and he graciously affirmed my sense of discernment. Its time for Salem to move forward, he told his congregants. Subscribe to CT for less than $4.25/month. To start, Dates will keep his current post as senior pastor at Progressive Baptist Church, a 15-minute drive from the House of Hope arena where Salem Baptist meets. Vance Pitman resigned in December from Hope Church in Las Vegas to lead the SBCs national church-planting organization. Charlie Dates is the senior pastor of Progressive Baptist Church in Chicago and serves on the board of TCP. Charlie Dates is set to succeed Rev. Progressive Baptist Church of Chicago | Chicago IL Legal Clinic The Social Justice Ministry is here to help through our Gospel Justice Center Legal Clinic. He opposed the legalization of gay marriage,called for a boycott over funding disparities at Chicago Public Schools, and once served as spiritual adviser to disgraced R&B singer R. Kelly. While continuing to lead Progressive Baptist, the 41-year-old pastor was named the successor to James Meeks at Salem Baptist Church, one of the citys biggest congregations. Hope youll give us another try and check out some other articles. If thats idolatry to youwe can disagree. Datess 100-year-old congregation only began affiliating with the SBC last year, joining as a dual affiliate with the Progressive National Baptist Convention, a mainline, African American denomination. Pastor Dates challenged me in how I was handling my grief, noted my verbal and body language pointed to some unrighteous anger and unforgiveness that I needed to confront in order to move forward in a Godly manner, gave me scriptures to pray and meditate on, and concluded by praying with me and having his wife Kirstie follow up with me. Our PBC Teens are highly engaged in biblical teaching and discussion on how to navigate a Christian life amongst their peers. I dont know anything about Pastor Dates using a slur I havent heard anything about it, nor do I know anything about the context, response, or outcomes. His wife Kirstie also followed up to pray with me and further encourage me. . Rev. I dont idolize Pastor Dates, nor is he my everything. The leaders of two majority-black megachurches in major cities announced this week that they will no longer affiliate with the Southern Baptist Convention.