. Cengage, at your service! I did not experience any interface or navigation issues. However, the numbered footnotes are different (8 & 13). I plan to recommend this textbook to the department as a possible adoption. Years (Avg.) The text is very accessible for first year university students, but sometimes the writing is so casual, it would be better suited to, for example, a blog. access for your students, Customer Service & Tech Support contact information, FAQs, articles, chat, email or phone support, Instructor tools, training and resources for, Get step by step instructions for requesting an evaluation, exam, or desk copy, Decision Sciences & Operations Management. Some chapters provided more detail/in-depth discussion than The word Misdemeanor could be placed on page 56 (to include the work with the definition. However, greater detail was needed in certain areas. The court system is explained in fairly simple terms for a rather complex subject. On one hand, I really do not like the casual writing because it may diminish the validity of the content. Each chapter was labeled, and the sub-categories broke down the material well making it easy to locate information quickly. }. Cultural relevancy and sensitivity would be an area of strengthening. I really liked how the book covered policy - particularly how and why criminal justice policies are created and change. Cre8tive Resources. The book is well written and formatted. My hope is to adopt sections of this textbook for focused courses on corrections and juvenile justice which will necessitate supplementing other references for most topics, but this is one of the best examples of an OER criminal justice text I have found. There do not appear to be any contradictions of material. Health Professions Criminology. Anatomy & Physiology and Physical Science Innovative courseware designed to keep Criminal Justice students engaged! This book has fairly comprehensive chapters, but lacks a conclusion or any acknowledgement of what it leaves out (gender issues in CJ, cybercrime, comparative criminal justice, etc.). Biology - Majors Greenlight learning with this new eBook+, ALEKS The book covered the core components of law enforcement, courts, and corrections. ROBERT M. BOHM is professor of Criminal Justice and Legal Studies at the University of Central Florida in Orlando. The books appearance is not as attractive as its content, which is rich with various illustrations, exercises, critical thinking challenges, and other activities that engages the student throughout the book. Topics are not explained in deep detail, but seems to be decent descriptions for an introductory level course. After considering the pros and cons, I believe that the casual writing helps distinguish this textbook from others in the field that are extremely dry (and they are all, almost without fail, extremely dry), and that this should be considered a strength. 4. main .toppar > .full_width_container:nth-child(2) > .container-fluid > .container { Reviewed by Raymond Delaney, Assistant Professor of Criminal Justice, Southern University at New Orleans on 4/18/19, The book addressed the key areas of the criminal justice system. Although, in 5.12 other criminological theories, the author does briefly mention critical thoeries. Overall, I encountered few significant interface issues. Chapter 4-Criminal Justice Policy is uniquely presented as a separate chapter. As a Sociologist with a Criminal Justice background, I have found the best way to discuss the CJ system is by presenting the various experiences from a variety of lifestyles. I did note at least one graph that didnt contain any date range information which was bit confusing, but overall, the graphics worked well and were well labeled. The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness. She earned her Ph.D. from Indiana University of Pennsylvania and her MCJ from the University of Colorado Denver. Music Images and chart are available throughout the text. Academic jargon is explained enough to educate students in an introductory course, though some areas lack crucial details to ensure the understanding. Comparing it to my required textbook for purchase by other authors, this book covered most of the material and is comprehensive. Pictures such as examples of classical conditioning is animated and well-placed in such a way, a student can easily understand the concepts presented. Each component (courts, cops, and corrections) were reflected of key elements essential to the operation of the justice system. Classes cover such topics as white collar and hate crimes. . As far as longevity, I have concerns about web links that may change, and wonder if the book would be better served by including links for each chapter as part of supplemental materials, as it is far easier to update supplemental materials than an entire textbook. margin-right: 0; Teach your course your way, Professional Services It can serve as a text for an entire law-related education course . Ecology Plus get free shipping on qualifying orders $25+. This modularity helped me to break the syllabus into weekly content that was consist throughout the semester. Sometimes, there was a link within the text and other times a footnote. I found the writing to be inviting and accessible and think my students at the community college level would agree. Does not come across to the educated reader as professional grammar and word usage. It explains the Perhaps this requirement is disclosed to the user up front, but if it isn't, I suggest that the authors do so. This is the same with various Tables or Charts (i.e., Mendelsohns Typology of Crime Victim which is mentioned as a title on page 57 and the Chart itself is presented on page 58. Overall, this is a very good beginners textbook for an Introduction Course and can further be useful as a supplementary and resource book as the student continues to pursue their criminal justice/criminology education. Education As an undergraduate level instructor in the field, who has read many similar textbooks, this one seems casual in its prose and explanations. The glossary is good but not extensive of all concepts and also lacks accurate punctuation. read more. The text is broken into readable and identifiable sections. Achieve accurate math placement, SIMnet Each of the three components of the criminal justice system - law enforcement, courts, and corrections - is fully covered. Ignite mastery of MS Office and IT skills, McGraw-Hill eBook & ReadAnywhere App However, there are some areas in which the book could be improved. As a policing scholar, I wanted to see more of a historical and analytical overview of policing. Theater I'm looking forward to developing my Intro to Criminal Justice course using this book. Perhaps the greatest strength/asset of this text is the ease within which the reader can move between different topics and subtopics. The current issues boxes will need to be updated as time goes on, but that is also something that can be done easily. Some of the best criminal justice books include "The New Jim Crow," "Just Mercy," and "Punishment . ISBN10: 1260253872 | ISBN13: 9781260253870, Decision Sciences & Operations Management, Anatomy & Physiology and Physical Science, ALEKS Placement, Preparation, and Learning, Ignite mastery of MS Office and IT skills, Increase engagement, lower costs, and improve access for your students, Customer Service & Tech Support contact information, FAQs, articles, chat, email or phone support, Instructor tools, training and resources for, Get step by step instructions for requesting an evaluation, exam, or desk copy, https://www.mheducation.com/cover-images/Jpeg_400-high/1260253872.jpeg, CHAPTER 1: Crime and Justice in the United States, CHAPTER 5: History and Structure of American Law Enforcement, CHAPTER 6: Policing: Roles, Styles, and Functions, CHAPTER 7: Policing America: Issues and Ethics, CHAPTER 9: Sentencing, Appeals, and the Death Penalty, CHAPTER 11: Prison Life, Inmate Rights, Release, and Recidivism, CHAPTER 14: The Future of Criminal Justice in the United States, Custom Textbook Publishing | Custom Solutions | McGraw-Hill, Google Classroom and Google Drive Integration | McGraw Hill, Learning & Student Management Integrations | LMS & SIS, Online Training for Curriculum & Platforms | McGraw-Hill, McGraw Hill Catalogs | Download Most Recent, Sample K12 Curriculum and Programs Online | McGraw Hill, CARES Act and Education | Overview & FAQs | McGraw Hill, K12 | Our Learning Science Principles | McGraw-Hill, Join Our PreK-12 Educator Community | McGraw Hill, Review this product's accessibility information. Engineering/Computer Science The text is very clear. Other topics flow well also. This textbook is about Americas criminal justice system; let that also reflect all culture/subcultures in this great country. The text was not culturally insensitive or offensive. The Criminal Justice Program is for 11th and 12th Grade students. read more. These events were usually contained within text boxes, so they could be easily updated over time. Death Penalty Arguments. Comparing it to my required textbook for purchase by other authors, this book covered most of the material and is comprehensive. However, there are a couple areas throughout the text that I believe would benefit from further elaboration and explanation. This case could have been described in a more neutral way. The author uses first person throughout the book which undermines the "seriousness". The chapter exercises are clear and connect to real experiences. Keiser University's Criminal Justice programs cover topics that include but are not limited to deviant behavior, forensics, law enforcement, investigation, victimology, private security, corrections and juvenile justice and how components work together and are governed by our laws, the Supreme Court and the U.S. Constitution. The textbook provides the "nuts and bolts" of the criminal justice system, including its history, development, and current issues. Fort Hays offers four online programs in criminal justice with the choice to specialize by mixing and matching courses that best fit student's interests. Teenager Henry Denton keeps being abducted by aliens. It also gives readers an opportunity to gain full clarity before moving into a new topic. I also thought the "use of force" section was too short, but it would be easy enough for an instructor to find current examples in the news to discuss in class in more detail. If I had to complain, the textbook authors should make the examples more inclusive of the national criminal justice system overall, rather than concentrating on Oregon. Our e-inspection copies are a quick and easy way for you to find the right textbook at the right time. Although there is no index, considering this book is online a simple navigation of tabs - students can easily find what they are looking for. Customer Service & Tech Support contact information, Online Technical Support Center Also, life-course theory was never mentioned. font-weight: 400; The book covered the core components of law enforcement, courts, and corrections. It includes an overview on crime, deviance, and The examples are great but seem like they should be added in a lecture to supplement the book, not in the book itself. Examining Criminal Cases can be a fun way to teach the skills of research and analysis in a Law & Justice or Government class!This is a research activity in which students are directed to a website providing . There is a discussion of Public Policy, which is great and something that I have not seen in any introductory text so far. Developmental English However, it is also consistently lacking depth. One would have to find it on a page before. Excellent job combining/blending the criminal justice and criminology knowledge together without sacrificing one discipline over the other. Our most popular publication, Criminal Justice in America is the most comprehensive secondary text available on the subjects of criminal law, procedure, and criminology. This book is Although many professors already have some made up, having some come with the text ensures that all the information is relevant. While overall comprehensive for an introductory course, I did not see coverage of the following topics within each main category: (1) Police - their various duties including predicting crime through Compstat/crime mapping; 4th Amendment and how it relates to search/seizures and warrants; and police interrogations/Miranda warnings; (2) Courts - types of evidence, types of witnesses (lay and expert), and juries; (3) Corrections - eras of corrections and prison life/culture itself - such as prisoner's rights, security threat groups, discipline in prison, and grievance procedures. Overall, the interface made it really easy to navigate. Anthropology Several texts will either exclude this topic or will integrate it within another chapter, often not giving it the attention that it deserves. Luckily, there are websites that offer free textbooks for high school and college students. Each chapter included boxes containing additional information and discussion questions or assignment ideas. A discussion of the rights available to crime victims through the criminal justice processes in the United States. With that being said, the only information that will need to be updated with some frequency is the current issues facing the system and changes to the system as well as any current events and examples. 4.8. by John Randolph Fuller. The topics are presented in a logical and clear fashion. There is room for some improvement by showing greater diversity beyond black and white. 5 Terrific Criminal Justice Books. display: none; There are several links to some good resources that are not controlled by the author, and I have some concern they may become inactive or direct students to the wrong information in the future. Mr. Haley has also been the dean of the School of Criminal Justice, and the dean of the School of Off-Campus Learning at Tiffin University. This is a solid Intro to CJ book. Most errors I saw were grammatical and in the glossary (i.e., descriptions of new and older generation jails). I survey my students on course materials and they appreciated the local examples and relatable content in the book. In 1935, the President of then, Washington State College, Dr. Ernest O. Holland, contacted the nation's first ever FBI Director, J. Edgar Hoover, for guidance in creating a program for the sole purpose of training law enforcement officers (September 18, 1935 Letter, October 3, 1935 Letter- Part 1, and .