(This stuff is complicated! There are many different flavour products within the Extra Gum range that contain various ingredients. This allows probiotics (beneficial bacteria) to grow in your gut, promoting overall gut health. B-Fresh, Glee, and Pr have 2g in 2 pieces. Well, that was disturbing, but we werent on a diet! In high doses, more than about 15 grams a day, xylitol can cause stomach problems, and at even . Its the wrong kind of sweet, my son said, like a medicine or like its hiding something. I didnt quite agree with that yet couldnt explain why the gum was so unsatisfyingit just didnt taste good either at the first bite or after chewing for a while. If you have irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) or an intolerance to FODMAPs, be careful with sugar alcohols and consider avoiding them altogether. Learn about 10 possible benefits of drinking hot water, Packed with nutrients but low in calories, leafy greens are crucial to a wholesome diet. Sugar alcohols are safe for individuals battling alcohol addiction. But one day, we saw a scary new sign on the door. As a sweetener, xylitol is an excellent choice. The kids and I look forward to trying it in other flavors when its time to buy more gum. PUR Gum Aspartame Free has 1.1 grams of xylitol in each piece along with a few other ingredients to dilute xylitols sweetness and health benefits. Just curious with all that research what your family has decided to chew , Well, well chew what we have until we use it up! Becca and her family live in a wonderfully walkable neighborhood of Pittsburgh, where they strive for minimal environmental impact and maximal enjoyment of lifes abundance. Table sugar has approximately 3.75 calories per gram, whereas xylitol contains 2.4 calories per gram. Other ingredients are gum arabic, glycerin, natural flavors, sunflower lecithin, resinous glaze, carnauba wax, and citric acid. https://www.akc.org/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php. (I love Girl Scouts but now donate cash instead of buying cookies!). So what is your favorite, or maybe a top 3 list? Xylitol has a similar sweetness as regular sugar but contains 40% fewer . Xylitol occurs naturally in fruits and vegetables, but it can also be made in a laboratory. In addition to "Original", Topps eventually included the flavors "Strawberry Shake," "Cherry Berry," "Watermelon Whirl," and "Grape Rage." Xylitol is a sugar alcohol that is often used as a sweetener in gum because it is less likely to cause cavities than regular sugar. We and our partners use cookies to Store and/or access information on a device. It doesnt stand up by itself well, but it does stay sealed if you repeatedly pick up and put down the package and shuffle it around with others. Even if the pack doesnt explicitly state that it contains xylitol, the ingredient may be included in the ingredients list under the term sugar alcohol. Animal studies indicate impressive benefits for metabolic health. [3] Also on the comic strip is an offer for a premium and a fortune. Ill add it! Unlike certain artificial or man-made sweeteners, such as aspartame and sucralose, xylitol is a natural sweetener. Xylitol in preventing dental caries: A systematic review and meta-analyses. Required fields are marked *. Most sugar-free chewing gums will contain xylitol, when looking for gum you should always check the ingredients for either xylitol or sugar alcohols. The package is a cute little version of the type of zip-top plastic bag often used for dried fruit or frozen foods. Signs of poisoning can develop in as little as 30 minutes to one hour. While most xylitol products are 100% natural, Icebreakers also has chemical sweeteners. I didnt try carrying it in a bag with other stuff. We had a jar (like XyliChew, Epic, and B Fresh, but with a screw-on lid) and liked it. Yes, we liked Peelu but havent had it recently. Xylitol Toxicosis in Dogs: An Update. In most sugar-free bubble gums, the substitute (of sugar) used is Xylitol. Thanks for this article, I will definitely have to try some of these brands. The hypoglycemic dose of xylitol for dogs is considered to be approximately 0.075 - 0.1 grams per kilogram of body weight (about 0.03 - 0.045 gram per pound). That means there are more sweeteners than gum in the product, which is fine except that sweeteners . But which is the better option? You can find it in gum and candy,peanut butter, and sugar-free baked goods. If you would like to change your settings or withdraw consent at any time, the link to do so is in our privacy policy accessible from our home page.. Other ingredients are gum arabic and carnauba wax. 2019 Sugar Free HQ. Many of her articles focus on environmentally friendly habits, including a low-meat, seasonally sensitive diet. This draws the rodent to the trap. Brands of gum that typically contain high levels of xylitol include: Some brands of gum that contain xylitol as only part of the sweeteners used include: Carefree Bubble Gum flavor Sugarless gum doesnt necessarily mean xylitol-free, so be sure to check the product label. However, some people may experience side effects after consuming xylitol, such as: If you experience any of these side effects after consuming xylitol, its important to stop using it and consult with a healthcare professional. This is less than the average piece of sugarless . Though the word alcohol is part of its name, its not the same alcohol that makes you drunk. Borborygmi means tummy rumbling.). . Want more health and wellness news, as well as useful everyday tips? You forgot to mention that sugar-free gums can cause problems also because of the xylitol, malitol, and sorbital. Bazooka gum is sold in Canada with cartoons in both English and French, depending upon the city. To ingest a toxic amount of the ingredient, a dog weighing 20 pounds would only need to ingest two pieces of gum to have consumed a dangerous level. China does have safety standards similar to the US, and manufacturers there are motivated to make good quality products to maintain their reputations. What about chewing gums with xylitol? Research suggests it may harm other non-primate species, too. Mentoes chewing gum can have wheat contamination. Added sugars are categorically bad for you: The more added sugar you consume, the higher your risk for obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and death. Payne, A. N., Chassard, C., & Lacroix, C. (2012). In recent years, quite a few companies have created less toxic, biodegradable chewing gum options. In humans, xylitol is absorbed slowly and has no measurable effect on insulin production. AKC actively advocates for responsible dog ownership and is dedicated to advancing dog sports. What is the difference between xylitol and sugar? All of these gums have a few things in common: Xylitol is listed as xylitol on some Nutrition Facts labels and sugar alcohol or carbohydrate on others. It doesnt spike blood sugar or insulin, starves the plaque-producing bacteria in your mouth and feeds friendly microbes in your digestive system. A person who wants to chew one piece at a time could just chew more often. Nayak, P. A., Nayak, U. The flavoring is natural spearmint oil. The bubble gum was packaged in a red, white, and blue color scheme and originally sold for 1 penny. What Are the Benefits of Drinking Hot Water. Unlike sugar, xylitol has negligible effects on blood sugar and insulin levels. A warning for all canine lovers: xylitol is dangerously toxic to dogs. But I appreciate having more detail on the ingredient sources than Epic offers. One of them pointed out that the pink packets her parents had been dumping into their iced tea every day for years were pure saccharin, yet they didnt have cancer, and surely I was getting less saccharin from a few pieces of gum per week. 'Becca has been cooking real food and thinking about how to use resources wisely all her life, but shes always finding room for improvement! The effects of xylitol poisoning can begin to show in as little as ten minutes after ingestion. A major benefit to sugar substitutes like xylitol is the reduction of added sugars from your diet. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. But as I said, the pieces are small enough that bigger kids and adults are likely to want two at once2 pieces is the Serving Size on the label of 3 of these brandsand that will give them about 2g of xylitol. Xylitol is a naturally occurring, low-calorie sugar substitute with anticariogenic properties. Wow, xylitol is looking great! To compare the amount of xylitol in different brands or types of gum, youll need to check the product labels. It depends on your overall diet and how much gum you chew! A 2011 review (updated in 2016) found 4 clinical trials with moderate quality evidence to suggest that xylitol reduces the risk of middle ear infection by up to 30%. Is that a benefit or a risk? Extra Gum Ingredients. Sugar alcohols do have some effect on blood glucose, so people with diabetes should be careful with xylitol and other sugar alcohols. Added sugar may be the singlemost unhealthy ingredient in the modern diet. The first is that you naturally swallow a lot of air while chewing gum. Does all liquid gabapentin contain xylitol? The texture is fine, the pieces arent too tiny, and its free of plastics, allergens, and GMOs. Some low-calorie sweeteners are safer than others. Tapiainen, T., Kontiokari, T., Sammalkivi, L., Ikheimo, I., Koskela, M., & Uhari, M. (2001). However, xylitol contains zero fructose and has negligible effects on blood sugar and insulin (2, 5). The reason, according to Merck, is that ingestion causes a massive insulin release. Don't just throw your chewed gum on the top of the trash. It stays closed very well but is easy to open with one hand. Xylitol tastes sweet but, unlike sugar, it . Usually, xylitol is commercially produced from corn or tree bark to use as a sugar substitute in products like candy, bubble gum, yogurt, and toothpaste. Eclipse Sugar Free Gum. It is important to note that xylitol is poisonous to dogs, so be sure to keep gum containing xylitol out of reach of your furry friends! An overview of studies about xylitol and dental caries suggests potential clinical dental applications for xylitol. The delicious and refreshing minty formula of the Glee Gum Sugar-Free Peppermint is your best pick for a long-lasting fresh breath. XYLITOL KILLS YOUR DOGS..READ WHAT YOH BUY AND DONT GET ANYTHING WITH XYLITOL OR ANYTHING THAT STARTS WITH AN X. Use of xylitol-containing products such as foods, chewing gum, candies, and toothpaste that provide 1-20 grams of xylitol per day can significantly reduce the rate of cavity formation in both adults and children. That means that you're getting an amazing bang for your buck and the perfect method of consuming your dentist-recommended 6-10 grams of xylitol per day. Sprys website says its xylitol comes from non-GMO corncobs, its gum base comes from the Jelutong tree, its flavor comes from natural peppermint oil, and its soy lecithin is non-GMO. First there is xylitol, sorbitol, aspartame, mannitol and acesulfame K, which are all sweeteners. Copyright 2023 Clean Plates Omnimedia, Inc. All Rights Reserved, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5320817/, https://www.spiffies.com/v/PDF/xylitol_abstracts.pdf, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4232036/, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC90255/, https://www.cochranelibrary.com/cdsr/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD007095.pub3/abstract, https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29422459/, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4681845/, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5537870/, https://ptfarm.pl/pub/File/Acta_Poloniae/2017/3/817.pdf, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4684116/, https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11721142/, https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24336061/, http://www.onespiritmedicine.com/wp-content/uploads/documents/studies/gut_microbial_adaptation_to_dietary_consumption_of.pdf, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5093271/, https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30064708/. These include: Whether these products contain xylitol and to what level will depend upon the brand, again you should check the ingredients on the pack and watch out both for xylitol and any mention of sugar alcohol when making your purchases. The amount of xylitol in gum can vary by brand and type. Thus, to achieve a potentially toxic dose, a 10-pound dog would only have to eat one piece of gum. Solutions . The exact content is 1.06 grams of Xylitol per one piece. Sorbital, I believe, is a baby laxative. Seems like I barely had time to think about that information before my dentist found 3 cavities in my teeth! Another rat study found that xylitol increases bone density. The advantage of chocolate products containing chocolate is that they have a similar texture and taste compared to chocolates made with sugar. I was the only one who had a little bit of distressand I was taking doxycycline for a lung infection, so it was more likely a side effect of that! However, your body seems to adjust very well to xylitol. Here are 14 reasons for constant hunger. Does it make good bubbles? Personalized health review for Spry 100% Xylitol Chewing Gum: 1.7 calories, nutrition grade (B minus), problematic ingredients, and more. Oh well. For Xylitol to become toxic, only an amount of 0.05 grams would need to be consumed per pound of your pets overall weight. sugarfreehq.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. If your pet has a habit of removing chewing gum from your trash bins, stealing packets from countertops, or if you have been in the habit of sharing gum with your pet, you need to know about Xylitol. Carnauba wax and/or calcium carbonate is used for the outer glaze; Glee also lists resinous glaze., BHT and BHA are preservatives. I tried to give up buying imported products for Lent one time.). If you believe your dog accidentally ate xylitol, take it to your vet immediately. Although it can be used in products for humans, this ingredient can in fact be toxic if eaten by dogs. These oral bacteria feed on glucose from food, but they can not use xylitol. Glee is the only gum we tried that is not veganit contains beeswax. Unlike xylitol, they don't have unknown health effects and can even offer some health benefits. Becca is constantly adding chapters to The Earthlings Handbook, an all-purpose guide to life on this planet for natives and visitors. Bad trip! The photo shows me with our youngest when she was about 7 weeks old! The more important reasons I avoid buying imported goodsespecially from the opposite side of the worldare the environmental impact of shipping things a longer distance and the economic impact of paying people in another country instead of keeping our money here. Answer a few simple questions and find the right dog for you, Compare up to 5 different breeds side by side, Browse the AKC Marketplace to find the right puppy for you, Browse our extensive library of dog names for inspiration, Find out the best and worst foods for your dog and which to avoid, What to Do If Your Dog Accidentally Eats Gum. It is important to note that xylitol is poisonous to dogs, so be sure to check the ingredient label before giving your dog any gum! However, we thought it was just as fresh and minty as the peppermint gums, whereas many other spearmint gums Ive tried were too sweet and not minty enough. Xylitol is well known for boosting dental health. Read next: 5 Ways to Curb Your Sugar Cravings. For some, xylitol gum will help improve their oral health and cut down on calories from sugary gum. Xylitol has a similar sweetness as regular sugar but contains 40% fewer calories: Store-bought xylitol appears as a white, crystalline powder. The bubble gum was packaged in a red, white, and blue color scheme and originally sold for 1 penny. You decide. Xylitol prevents cavity formation, not only by starving harmful bacteria of the sugar they crave, but also decreasing the number of harmful bacteria in your oral microbiome. Buy a brand of gum that contains real sugar, not artificial sweetener. I felt that my metabolism and hunger levels were normal throughout the week of gum testing. Xyla Gum. XyliChew is Non-GMO Project Certified and free of corn and gluten. This is the only one of these chewing gums wed tried before. BHA causes cancer in a rodent organ that humans dont have; its considered a probable carcinogen but still allowed in food in the U.S. pending further research. While corresponding human studies are currently unavailable, rat studies show that xylitol can improve symptoms of diabetes, reduce belly fat and even prevent weight gain on a fattening diet (7, 8, 9). I had been choosing my gum based on stuff Id read here and there, but now that my 4-year-old Lydia is asking for a piece of gum nearly every day, I want to look into this more carefully. If your pet has eaten a large amount, it may cause a blockage in their intestines. Bubble gum does not cause a problem in most dogs. Also, wed previously tried peppermint flavor Glee and didnt really like it, so I bought lemon-lime to give this brand another chance. All Rights Reserved. With all the health benefits xylitol has to offer, dentists often recommend chewing xylitol gum 20 minutes after meals to promote dental health. Bazooka bubble gum also makes sugar-free flavors such as "Original" and a "Flavor Blasts" variety, claimed to have a longer-lasting, more intense taste. In one study, people consumed an average of 3.3 pounds (1.5 kg) of xylitol per month with a maximum daily intake of over 30 tablespoons (400 grams) without any negative effects (29). It does however, contain sorbitol. Xylitol is extremely poisonous to dogs. Chewing gum with xylitol can help prevent cavities by increasing saliva flow and reducing the number of bacteria in your mouth. Therefore, bacteria that live in the mouth can end up causing ear infections a common problem in children. . Why is xylitol so toxic to dogs? If you have a dog, make sure to keep any gum or other products containing xylitol out of reach. I bought a smaller amount to get the kind of package I wanted: a sturdy, resealable container small enough to carry in my purse! This is because xylitol is low on the glycemic index and has a low blood sugar impact. This is the bacteria most responsible for plaque. It is important to note that xylitol is poisonous to dogs, so be sure to keep gum containing xylitol out . Xylitol reduces the yeasts ability to stick to surfaces, thereby helping prevent infection (21). Yes, Extra sugar-free gum contains xylitol. I just checked their website and it does say they dont consider it to be corn free. The consent submitted will only be used for data processing originating from this website. Others may prefer gum that doesnt contain xylitol because it can have side effects, such as diarrhea, gas, and bloating. Dubble Bubble Ball Gum is available in 5 g servings containing 20 calories, 5 mg of sodium, 5 g of carbs and 4 g of sugars 2. Xylitol can be present in sugar-free chocolates, according to O'Donnell and Kearsley. B-Freshs website is unclear about the source of xylitol but says none of the ingredients are derived from corn.