Thanks! , Independently published (18 November 2020), Language ! Exclusively against women apart from a scene at the end when a group of gay men are beheaded. It is so good and if you want to be disturbed while secretly loving it, check it out. There were parts that had me literally gagging and a certain part that had me tear up with emotion. url = "https://s.gr-assets.com/assets/mobile/phone_hd_images-2b89833762f600506d44865a33582d11.css"; Removing this book will also remove your associated ratings, reviews, and reading sessions. Amazon recommended it to me based on reading Tender is the Flesh and Things Have Been Worse Since We Last Spoke; neither of which come close to how graphic this work is and I went in completely unprepared. It's when the book hits its 45-50% marker that things get nasty. This book is a great example of that. Both women have their own dedicated rape scenes, and objectification is taken to the extreme with one womans oral lips being sewn to her lady lips. The amount of effort and time that is spent during these scenes describing everything in intimate detail from The Slobs genitals to the womans injuries shows an obsessive approach to this violence. I read this book with a grin like the Cheshire cats. : "Try the new candy" and "Die Tommy" kind of have some helpful information before going into "Scary Bastard" was a wild read! } Barbaric and filthy disgusting. A.async = !0; There is no need to dissect the contents of The Slob, because there are so many gnarly little surprises that I dont want so spoil. SOME STAINS DON'T COME OUT Raised in a household that was so filthy it was stomach spilling, Vera has become a neat-freak. "Events.SushiEndpoint": "https://unagi.amazon.com/1/events/com.amazon.csm.csa.prod", I really wish I didn't waste a credit on this book. Gave it 4 because I thought it was too short and the ending was too abrupt. HOWEVER, the writing of the perfect storm is really well done, I was blindsided with the gross stuff after that. You are very welcome. } catch (err) { Ive included some of my favorites below (with the authors permission) as well as some of my favorite quotes. But such a pat summary does little justice to just how engagingly twisted this book is. This was my first Splatterpunk book but definitely wont be my last! There is like a 10 minuet description of "The Slob" in the seen that take about 5 seconds in real time. (LogOut/ window.csa("Config", { for(var i=0; i. googletag.pubads().setTargeting("surface", "mw"); Her biography runs into a marriage to paralysed Vietnam veteran Daniel, who she originally courted with sick jokes about cannibalism and strokes; this entire life story is narrated by Vera narrates with lashings of observational humour. Amazingly well written, no holes barred, theme park ride from hell..A story born from one of the best authors in the business! Which was your favorite of the two? This book reminded me of the Wrong Turn movie series because of the meat grinder thingy. The author managed to exceed my expectations. googletag.pubads().setTargeting("gr_author", "false"); Exclusively against women - apart from a scene at the end when a group of gay men are beheaded. This is one book you dont want to miss. var useSSL = "https:" == document.location.protocol; It started off okay. The Slob by Aron Beauregard is the epitome of good Extreme Horror. This book isnt for me, extreme horror really isnt my thing but to suggest readers of this book need psychiatric help is narrow minded and reductive. I didnt see the warnings but wish I had. return true; } Admittedly, the tone is not always stable. Dont be curious, dont try to measure your own exposure to graphic horror against this writing. (LogOut/ I will never get those images out of my head. "CacheDetection.RequestID": "P9ZWWV3JHMTSXH679245", Cancel anytime. Need to get to the next one soon enough. "Application": "GoodreadsMonolith", Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 7 February 2021, Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 6 October 2022. var ue_sn = "www.goodreads.com"; Nothing will prepare you for the nastiness, disorder, and sickening horror brought forth bythe Slob. The Slob has received critical praise and as a result has been nominated for the 2021 Splatterpunk Awards! Definitely going to read his other works. This is my second favorite of the two, this is a very quick read but a couple of scenes are truly the most fu**** up thing I have ever read in my life and I loved every minute of it. The author makes you care about the characters before he puts them through hell. //]]> url = "https://s.gr-assets.com/assets/mobile/phone_images-9e9093f0cfddba8c2b1e815375d976a3.css"; I kept praying hed choke on a hairball but I guess thats just a cat thing. Now she is obsessed with cleaning. if (window.ue && window.ue.tag) { window.ue.tag('author:show:signed_out', ue.main_scope);window.ue.tag('author:show:signed_out:mobileWeb', ue.main_scope); } Change), You are commenting using your Facebook account. It is not full-on bizarro, but one can see the elements of that subgenre in this story. 2019, 2020, 2021 Aron Beauregard (P)2022 Aron Beauregard, Unabridged If you're a mother like me, you will immediately know when you read it which part I'm referring to. Well, I guess I am fascinated by and enjoy the imagination put into creating such monstrosities and seeing just how far someone can go--like what putrid and horrifying scenarios havent been done yet or what scenarios or storylines havent gone far enough. (LogOut/ function getCookieWithoutJQuery(name) { For those you are easily offended or upset.steer clear. Change). "https://":"http://";i+=f?g:k;i+=j;i+=h;c(i)}if(!e.ue_inline){if(a.loadUEFull){a.loadUEFull()}else{b()}}a.uels=c;e.ue=a})(window,document); US$17.81. View more posts. This review will likely be unpopular, and I can give Beauregard his due. I greatly enjoy Aaron Beauregard's intelligent style, his character development and his build-up of plot and extreme actions. Aron Beauregard. I will never get those images out of my head. The steps of an evil that resurrects the ghastly memories she so desperately tried to wash away. Though, I do love a great psychological horror no matter the setting involved. if (sourcesToHideBuyFeatures[i] == source) The gore in American Psycho is worse. Aron was born in Central Falls, Rhode Island. Change), You are commenting using your Twitter account. Vera quickly learns survival has its cost. Reviewed in Australia on 19 December 2020. Plane and simple. Very gory with detailed descriptions of murder and assault, just what I was looking for.At 3h and 45 mins I felt it was far too short, there were bits of the story that could have been expanded on (the slobs upbringing, the back story of the gay guys etc) but overall, a good, quick listen. You got me sold on Beauregard, but imma go with Yellow, I like a good revenge story and I dont think I can really handle a splatter punk about a pregnant woman, Yes go for it, I'm about to reread it, I have a sample of one of his books that is a bunch of short stories. googletag.cmd.push(function() { I could not put this book aside. Change). Dont. Her child is aborted in a way that I cant even describe here. After tooling around for decades, hes finally started publishing his work (to the applause of a handful of deranged perverts). Extreme horror authors - Listen Up! Tender is the Flesh: TikTok Made Me Buy It! Please try again. Click here to purchase your copy of THE SLOB! Read instantly on your browser with Kindle for Web. page: {requestId: "P9ZWWV3JHMTSXH679245", meaningful: "interactive"} Her obsession with cleanliness sprouts the concept that her skills can be put to use in a unique way. He has a ton of books! Hello! Aron Beauregard was born in Central Falls, Rhode Island. (function () { She climbs the steps to the house and knocks on the door. I would definitely read more of his books, I love gore and that's exactly what you get! Sometimes I ask myself why I read Splatterpunk; it often makes me queasy in its unapologetic gore and depravity. }, She takes a stab at the booming door-to-door vacuum sales business of 1988. Audiobook. Change), You are commenting using your Twitter account. Just when I thought it couldnt get worse, the author somehow managed to throw in homophobia and racism in the final 10 pages! This one comes up in my horror circles so often that I keep thinking hmm maybe I should read it just so I can say I did. Thank you for helping me reign that curiosity in lol. var googletag = googletag || {}; I'm sorry the author didn't succeed in making it seem interesting or more grisly; it felt like he was writing it just for show. g = p.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; Plausible concepts are a huge plus, but psychological horror in any setting is fantastic. The female protagonist has a really bad case of "female written by a man". The Slob is a cautionary tale and plays out like some sort of deranged Americana folklore. Full content visible, double tap to read brief content. Change), You are commenting using your Facebook account. Theres no proof of age required to download or read this book, andthere fucking should be. } She takes a stab at the booming door-to-door vacuum sales business of 1988. By rejecting non-essential cookies, Reddit may still use certain cookies to ensure the proper functionality of our platform. Oh boy, I kind of loved this repugnant read. Dont wanna embarrass myself up on the stage! Thats all I have for today. and our Its also hideously misogynistic, as well as homophobic, but if you at least skim-read the review above youd know that. : stylesheet.href = url; Download the free Kindle app and start reading Kindle books instantly on your smartphone, tablet or computerno Kindle device required. Any book is up for discussion as long as that discussion is respectful. Needless to say, his parents were not thrilled by this tale and rather than acknowledging his creative genius, suspected he might be a budding serial killer. Are you a fan of the sick, twisted, or demented? Thanks for reading! q("i", arguments) The reviews I saw had people saying it made them throw up and I thought, theres just no way.. Brutal to the core, The Slob will test even the most ardent lover of extreme horrors stamina and tolerance. I just really hated The Slob. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ). Aron Beauregards writing is incredibly, mind-numbingly, tearing-your-hair-out-to-feel-something-ly boring. The bar has been set. I cant imagine what the narrator went through reading this. document.getElementsByTagName("head")[0].appendChild(stylesheet); Same, that was my first splatterpunk book too! Raped by the dead at the will of the living., I felt it enter me like a slimy nightcrawler squirming around.. After pursuing careers (which ultimately failed) in music, film-making, and full-time drug use, he eventually circled back to his bloody bread and butter: writing highly disturbing and bizarre material that tends to explore the human potential for evil. Raised in a household so filthy it was stomach-spilling, Vera involuntarily evolved into a neat freak. There are some moments that are hard to stomach in this book but its a wild ride and well worth your time. All of these experiences led to a raft of psychological issues as an adult, but none grave enough to prevent Vera from finding love. The first-person perspective is brilliantly conversational, the character entertaining, relatable, and evocative. Aron Beauregard was born and raised in Central Falls, Rhode Island. var stylesheet = document.createElement("link"); function(a9, a, p, s, t, A, g) { A revolting masterpiece. Beauregard is a superb story teller. US$15.47. This is where it was suggested to me to look into Aron Beauregard's "The Slob". For more information, please see our . But perhaps seeing a psychiatrist is also a good idea. Like his new book Son of the Slob will be coming out at the end of this month! Heck, this was as disturbing as it gets. //