And yet many Jews cared a great deal about their religion and their Scriptures. (O) Isa 40-55 does not give any information about the person of the prophet. DIFFICULTIES RELATED TO BABYLONIA (IN THE ISAIA PROTO) AND TO CIRO (IN DEUTERO ISAIA). Thou art wearied in the greatness of thy way; yet saidst thou not, There is no hope: thou hast found the life of thine hand; therefore thou wast not grieved. was isaiah written before daniel. Those who hold this view either believe that the anonymous author(s) deliberately sought to mislead, in which case the cynic is accusing them of dishonesty, or that the compilers of the final version were dishonest in putting together with a work of the true Isaiah (chapters 1-39) a work which could not have been clearly the work of Isaiah, seeing as, according to the cynics' theory, it was anonymous. When Cyrus issued his decree then they knew that they had been punished, by being taken into captivity to Babylon, not because they had failed to worship Baal and Molech sufficiently well, but because they had rebelled against the LORD God of their forefathers. calling(N) forth the generations from the beginning? He hands nations over to him 4 Who has done this and carried it through, Is it plausible for constructed languages to be used to affect thought and control or mold people towards desired outcomes? Despite all their rebellion He will have mercy on them still, and in order to be able to have mercy he must show them he is God and make them willing to obey him and go back to Judaea and the land that God had chosen for them. Those interested in this can search for "Eponym Dating System" in google. 25 and Isa 45,1ff the victory of the Persian king Cyrus over the Lydian king Croesus in the year 546 BC could give the background. por | Jun 14, 2022 | jacksonville housing authority portal | radford job level guide | Jun 14, 2022 | jacksonville housing authority portal | radford job level guide For example, Christian gospel "may" have predicted fall of Jerusalem before 70 AD. Timeline of Jeremiah / Daniel / Ezekiel Kings of Judah Date Ref Josiah 640 BC 2 Kg 22:1 - 23:30 5, 6 Josiah was 8yr old when he was made king and reigned 31 years 2 Ch 34 - 35 627 BC Jer 1 1 God calls Jeremiah to be prophet in Judah. Book of Isaiah, also spelled Isaias, one of the major prophetical writings of the Old Testament. Aside from Isaiah 20:1, the Assyrian title "Rabshakeh" is used several times in both Isaiah (ch 36 & 37) and 2 Kings (ch 18 & 19). in the ships in which they took pride. countrymen had fallen. ), during the reigns of Uzziah, Jotham, Ahaz, Hezekiah, and Manasseh of the Southern Kingdom of Judah.. He would have told us about them then, the way he mentioned Nicolaus of Damascus for a later period. It is claimed that no where does the name Isaiah appear in 40-66, the section with prophesies concerning Babylon. Meanwhile, the man who REALLY liberated the Jews, and lifted the Exile, was NOT Cyrus the Great, but rather ALEXANDER the Great. The term "the Holy One of Israel" referring to God is used many times in Isaiah but rarely outside the book of Isaiah: it is used 15 times in 1-39 and 14 times in 40-66 but only 6 times throughout the rest if the Old Testament and one of those 6 times is when referring to the words of Isaiah (2 Kings 19:22). Outstanding chapters in Isaiah's predictions are 13, 14, and 47 with scattered references elsewhere (21:9, 39:1, 3, 6, 7; 43:14; 48: . loose, To open before him two-leaved doors, Yea, gates are not shut: However, it is possible that the book of Isaiah is simply written after the event and written in a way that make it look as if it could predict prophecy. Isaiah was a prophet of the southern kingdom, living in a critical period of his nation. Your Privacy Choices: Opt Out of Sale/Targeted Ads, Name: Isaiah, Birth City: Jerusalem, Birth Country: Israel. Your anthology point is key here. Before 687BC. And so it proved, they never again returned to idols. (Isaiah 13:1). 8 He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? Is there any evidence that the book of Isaiah was written before Cyrus? So we are already in the final phase of the Babylonian exile, a good two hundred years after the original Isaiah. There was intermarriage with foreign women of idolatrous background; After the defeat of Sennacherib under the walls of Jerusalem (chapter 37) and the miraculous healing of King Hezekiah (chapter 38), the so-called Deutero and Trito Isaia (chapters 40-66) seem to proceed without interruption, announcing a period of promises and consolations for all of Israel. Do these passages not tell us that Isaiah 40-66 was written before the Babylonian Captivity? For example:-, I am the Lord: that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images. Its a single scroll from end to end, with no divisions or signals from a copyist that there is some sort of change between chapter 39 and 40. I will break in pieces the doors of bronze For instance, compare: Isaiahs writings divide easily into two main collections or books of prophecies: The Two books are written almost entirely in Hebrew poetry and they are joined by a few historical chapters(3639) written mostly inprose. (Q), https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Isaiah+41.1-4&version=NIV, Adon or Adonay (Lord, premasoretic text) ----- Kyrios or Kyros (Greek translation, confirmed by the Seventy) ----- Koresh (Cyrus, Masoretic text). 4. "Considers" on what basis? For instance, idolatry is condemned and the burning of their own children to Molech is condemned in chapter 57. Prophetic visions transcend boundaries of time, space and. There are a few loan words from Egyptian, and a few from Assyrian (Assyrian Akkadian), which was the lingua franca in northern Mesopotamia until it was replaced by Aramaic roughly during the period 750 to 650 BC. Learn. Concerning God's economy toward His chosen people, Isaiah reveals that all the nations . Either way, the book has been preserved in this form since ancient times, and both Jewish and Christian traditions accept it as the inspired Word of God. By submitting your email address, you understand that you will receive email communications from HarperCollins Christian Publishing (501 Nelson Place, Nashville, TN 37214 USA) providing information about products and services of HCCP and its affiliates. More directly regarding the question at hand: Modern scholarship considers the Book of Isaiah to be an anthology, the two principal compositions of which are the Book of Isaiah proper (chapters 1-39, with some exceptions), containing the words of the prophet Isaiah himself, dating from the time of the First Temple, around 700 BCE, and Second Isaiah (Deutero-Isaiah, chapters 40-66), comprising the words of an anonymous prophet, who lived some one hundred and fifty years later, around the time of the Babylonian exile and the restoration of the Temple in the Persian Period. The purpose for this prediction of Cyrus is given in chapter 48. 5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. This answer is nonsense. However, our disagreements aside, an. The earliest manuscript we have of the Book of Isaiah is The Great Isaiah Scroll: The Great Isaiah Scroll (1QIsaa) is one of the original seven Dead Sea Oswalt also believes it makes sense that Isaiah would speak to people in the future: I believe the reason is Isaiah had experienced the exile of the northern kingdom during his lifetime, and he is aware of the terrific implications of exile. So the Romans used each Sabbath day to build the siegeworks and do all sorts of things which greatly helped them to conquer Jerusalem! Using Kolmogorov complexity to measure difficulty of problems? God has failed, but I want you to know that this God who delivered Jerusalem from Sennacherib is the same God who can deliver you from Babylon. I think that's why it has this unusual shape.. Isaiah was a Hebrew prophet who was believed to have lived about 700 years before the birth of Jesus Christ. The book of Isaiah was probably one of the best discoveries in the Dead Sea Scrolls. I name you, though you do not know me. We strive for accuracy and fairness.If you see something that doesn't look right,.css-47aoac{-webkit-text-decoration:underline;text-decoration:underline;text-decoration-thickness:0.0625rem;text-decoration-color:inherit;text-underline-offset:0.25rem;color:#A00000;-webkit-transition:all 0.3s ease-in-out;transition:all 0.3s ease-in-out;}.css-47aoac:hover{color:#595959;text-decoration-color:border-link-body-hover;}contact us! But after the Babylonian Captivity the sins of the Jews were different. 4055: Deutero-Isaiah, the work of an anonymous Exilic author; That the book of Isaiah was written by a single author and way before the time of Cyrus might have been believed at the time the caves of Qumran were filled with scrolls. (Isaiah 44:16-20). While there is wide agreement about the evidence, there isnt as much consensus on what to do with that evidence. who says of Cyrus, He is my shepherd, Chapters 44 (late) and 45 (early in the chapter) refer to Cyrus, who was King of Persia and conquered Babylon and ended the Neo Babylonian Empire October 12th 539 bc. All dates are given according to the Common Era, not the Hebrew calendar. Flashcards. When Cyrus issued his decree for them to return the Jews knew that the prophets of Baal and Molech had never predicted these things, but Isaiah, the prophet of the LORD God of their forefathers, had. Test. For your sake I will send to Babylon 11 He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities. Upon a lofty and high mountain hast thou set thy bed: even thither wentest thou up to offer sacrifice. I equip you, though you do not know me. ), Then finally the King James Authorised Version tells us Hebrews is, "The Epistle of Paul the Apostle to the Hebrews". The fact that the Greek terms Kyrios and Kyros may have been misunderstood (Kyrios and Kyros in Greek are common names and can be translated with lord, king, boss, master, authority and guide but Kyros also corresponds to the proper name Cyrus) may have contributed to spread the conviction that the prophet Isaiah made clear reference to the Persian emperor, two centuries in advance. 6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the Lord hath laid on him the iniquity of us all. I suggest anyone who finds this odd actually investigate the clear(and obvious) parallels about these "doubles" for themselves. Passages from both collections are recorded by various Book of Mormon writers" . However, theres also evidence that other authors made additions. "The oracle concerning Babylon which Isaiah the son of Amoz saw." What is the point of Thrower's Bandolier? who formed you from the womb: Is there any corroborating evidence for the story of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego? 2 Who has stirred(F) up one from the east,(G) "That chapters 13, 14 and 21 refer to the first destruction of Babylon by the Assyrians and not to the subsequent conquest of the city by the Persians (which, however, did not destroy it) also seems to be confirmed by the fact that from chapter 14 in chapter 20 are contained various oracles against the Assyrians, now insignificant people at the time of King Cyrus. I thank all those who have read this so far, and ask you a few closing questions. Browse other questions tagged, Start here for a quick overview of the site, Detailed answers to any questions you might have, Discuss the workings and policies of this site. It is identified by a superscription as the words of the 8th-century BCE prophet Isaiah ben Amoz, but there is extensive evidence that much of it was composed during the Babylonian . Cyrus is alluded to in this week's haftorah http://www.chabad.org/parshah/article_cdo/aid/579794/jewish/Haftorah-in-a-Nutshell.htm, The Helper of Israel Modern scholars argue that the book of Isaiah is a collection of writings by various anonymous writers whose writings have been added over the centuries following the time of Isaiah. Historical Backing for Isaiah . I call you by your name, Still others, like Dr. John Oswalt, argue that Isaiah was the original source for all 66 chapters, but that the book was assembled over the years from his collected works: his speeches, sermons, talks, and comments. According to this theory, you dont simply have three Isaiahs. But that is not the half of it: the Jews were not very mistreated while in Babylonian "captivity". Whybray: "The Second Isaiah", JSOT Press: Sheffield, 1983. Scholars believe that the prophet Isaiah was a real, historical person who lived during the eighth century, when many of the events recorded in Isaiah historically took place. I maintain you are holding the looking glass wrong ;) KJV is sometimes better than more modern (helpful?) "To the Hebrews, written from Rome by Paul to those in Jerusalem". After the Jews returned from captivity in the days of Cyrus there was no such gross idolatry. 10 Yet it pleased the Lord to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the Lord shall prosper in his hand. Exile in Babylon Babylonian Empire: 1984 BC 539 BC Nebuchadnezzar King of Babylon: 605 BC 562 BC against whom make ye a wide mouth, and draw Note that in Jewish scripture, Daniel is not considered a prophet and is not included among the prophetic books. idolatry. There is only one book in the whole Bible which is truly anonymous: the Letter to the Hebrews. Date of Writing: The Book of Daniel was likely written between 540 and 530 B.C. Isaiah wrote some of the book, but the writings of others were added by redactors/editors sometime before the Great Isaiah Scroll was written about 125 BC. "What value would such a scroll have, and why would the Jews of old have had any reverence for their holy writings, if such a cavalier attitude existed towards their prophetic writings"? Josephus was popularizing (and embellishing) the biblical accounts for his audience but as far as I know, he did not have independent sources. It enveloped them in flames, yet they did not understand; Isaiah's role in the Bible Isaiah is the first of the Major Prophets. [2] c. 520 BC-c. 411 BC [citation needed] prophecy of Haggiah, Zechariah, Joel (?) Cyrus, the Emperor of Persia, lived well over one hundred years later: Cyrus (580-529 BC) was the first Achaemenid Emperor. Story of Esther, (535 BC: First portion of Ezra; 515 BC: Second portion of Ezra and Haggai and Zecharia; Joel possibly some time later; 474 BC: Esther; 450 BC: Remainder of Ezra, Nehemiah, and Malachi. Di Lella, "Daniel" in, Center of Contemporary Jewish Documentation, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Timeline_of_the_Hebrew_prophets&oldid=1082234151, Short description with empty Wikidata description, Articles with unsourced statements from July 2012, Articles with unsourced statements from February 2019, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, This page was last edited on 12 April 2022, at 01:53. Note: I used Young Literal Translation because it transliterate YHWH into Yehovah where all other translation seems to take more "liberty". Pursue a deeper knowledge of God through self-paced college- and seminary-level online courses in Old and New Testament studies, theology, biblical Greek, and more. concerning Judah and Jerusalem in the days of Uzziah, Jotham, Ahaz, and Hezekiah, kings of Judah." According to 6:1, Isaiah received his call "in the year that King Uzziah died" (742 bc), and . The people who wrote the New Testament saw Isaiah as one book. The second Isaiah section, Deutero-Isaiah, was likely written by an anonymous writer (or writers) in the Sixth century BCE when the Jewish people were in exile. and he shall fulfill all my purpose; "If this were true, then it's a miracle. But, there are serious problems with this view (that some anonymous prophets were involved in the production of the final book of Isaiah): There aren't any. God used him to uncover spiritual realities of his own time but also of the near and far future. For many, the divine inspiration would have no limits and to Isaiah it could have been really revealed the future in a very precise and detailed way, also considering the exceptional religious experience of which he was the protagonist (that is the vision of the Eternal seated on the throne, in holy temple in the midst of the seraphim) and the experiences of Micah (prophet of the birth of the Messiah in Bethlehem), of Jeremiah (anticipating the 70 years of Babylonian captivity and the subsequent return of refugees), Daniel (able to glimpse the succession of the future world empires from the time of Nabuchodonosor until the advent of the Persians, Alexander the Great and the Diadochi) and of a prophet of the times of Jeroboam (who foretold the name and work of King Josiah with two centuries in advance; see 1 Kings 13: 2 and 2 Kings 23: 15-16). It is the largest (734 cm) and Not very likely, I think. Your form could not be submitted. to subdue nations before him I like to read, cook, work out and I'd like to travel to Europe in the future. saying of Jerusalem, She shall be built, Notify me of follow-up comments by email. That the saying of Esaias the prophet might be fulfilled, which he spake, Lord, Article Title: Isaiah Biography, Author: Biography.com Editors, Website Name: The Biography.com website, Url: https://www.biography.com/religious-figures/isaiah, Publisher: A&E; Television Networks, Last Updated: August 14, 2019, Original Published Date: April 2, 2014. Let them come forward(D) and speak; A major objection is that parts of the book are not . 28:5 and 63:3. Isaiah to Daniel. This could do with some editing as it's very hard to follow the logic in this answer. For others, believers and non-believers, from chapter 40 onwards, the prophecies would have been, instead, elaborated by a "Deutero Isaia", certainly inspired, but lived in the days of exile. and cut through the bars of iron, good friday agreement, brexit. The text is written so as to appear that the prophecy had taken place before the event, when in fact it was written after the events supposedly predicted. Oh, and at the time Isaiah was written, they absolutely had a work for ball or globe. On the a priori assumption that prophecy is impossible? "To the Hebrews, written from Italy by Timothy". Isaiah was a man who witnessed our Lord (the pre-incarnate Son) sitting on His throne in all His glory. (Isaiah 50:11). Isaiah lived about 700 years before the birth of Jesus Christ. There are also those who think that the divine inspiration would have glimpsed the sacred author only a generic king of the Persians, menacing people already settled in the North and East of Mesopotamia in the time of King Hezekiah (the first historical mention of the Media and Persia dates back to 835 BC: in the annals of Salmanassar III it is said, in fact, that the Assyrian king received the tribute from the king of Persia and reached the regions of Media on Lake Urmia). The second extant manuscript containing speculation is Miniscule 81 from the 11th century which claims. us before the scrolls' discovery. If such a comparatively ordinary prophecy such as Obadiah's has the name of the prophet how is it conceivable that the name of the prophet of the most glorious prophetic portion of the most sublime prophecy of them all, the book of Isaiah, should be unknown? They are not identical with the Neo-Babylonian kings. He was believed to have written chapters 1-39 in The Book of Isaiah with the balance of the book authored by several other prophets. CLAIM: If Isaiah really wrote from Israel before the Exile (739-681 BC), then he would have predicted King Cyrus by nameover two hundred years in advance. When an anonymously written work is produced there arises speculation as the the author. This was foretold by Isaiah one hundred and forty years before the temple was demolished. what animals eat kangaroo paws in the savanna . And the timeline is no longer divided into three neat sections. The superscription identifies Isaiah as the son of Amoz and his book as "the vision of Isaiah . For they would not follow his ways; The proof we have that Chapter 53 is a true prophecy of the future should enable us to believe the name "Cyrus" was announced before he was born. We could assume in advance--before even looking at the evidence--that Isaiah could not be a prophetic document, but this is neither scientific nor is it an argument--it is a philosophical assertion. who alone stretched out the heavens, . The rest of the book is the work of numerous disciples who lived over the next 400 years or so. Isaiah 20:1 is key in its reference to Sargon. When we reflect on the meaning of salvationand on our piety, mission, and life togetherour thought necessarily engages Get expert commentary on biblical languages, fresh explorations in theology, hand-picked book excerpts, author videos, and info on limited-time sales. The central theme of the Deutero Isaiah is that of the consolation of Israel and of the return home of the exiles, after the Assyrian deportations, begun at the time of Sargon II with the fall of Samaria (722 BC). He turns them to dust(J) with his sword, During the return from captivity, later disciples added more. which is a clear case of going beyond what is written in the Scripture, (though I must stress that these titles are not in the inspired Scripture text itself, they merely introduce the Scripture.) This causes a dispute over when the Gospel was actually written. I recommend the book to all. There are foreign loan words in Nehemiah. Site design / logo 2023 Stack Exchange Inc; user contributions licensed under CC BY-SA. In this passage, the first quote is from Isaiah 53:1, the second is from Isaiah 6:10 and the third is from Isaiah 6:1. Nevertheless, some believers accept the visions of Isaiah without perplexity, because they think that the prophecies contained in the "Proto Isaiah" concern the great destruction of Sennacherib of 689, after the attempt of Babylon to free itself from the yoke of the Assyrians. They needed encouragement to believe in the God of the Scriptures: and to see the name "Cyrus" in the 150 year old book of Isaiah would surely have encouraged some of them to comply with the decree and go back to Judaea. "Cyrus" is in 44:28 and 45:1 because God is gracious and kind towards his people. The narrator remains in this period until the end of the book. 7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth. Neque enim Kyrio, quod Dominum sonat, sed Cyro dicitur, here Hebraice appellatur Khores, regi Persarum, here Babylonem Chaldaeosque superavit. I grew up with dogs, in a house surrounded by woods although we lived in the suburbs. Study with Quizlet and memorize flashcards containing terms like Isaiah, written?, Historical Backing for Isaiah?, Key Themes of Isaiah and more. The drama of the Assyrian deportations is confirmed by the symbolic name of the firstborn of Isaiah: in Hebrew Seariasub (Isaiah 7,3) it means "a rest will return", with evident allusion to the next exile and the subsequent conversion of Israel. You have hundreds. For one, Daniel refers to himself in the first person in much of the book and makes the dating claim himself. The book of Isaiah provides us with the most comprehensive prophetic picture of Jesus Christ in the entire Old Testament. The destruction of Jerusalem and the Babylonian exile took place in the sixth century, but in chapters 4055, Isaiah speaks about these events as though theyve already happened. Learn more in John N. Oswalt's course on Isaiah. Because Isaiah 40-66 contains Chapter 53, one of the most breathtaking prophecies in the whole of the Old Testament. "Rab" means "chief" and "shakeh" means "cup-bearer", a title whose meaning only became apparent with archaeological discovery in the modern age. This fits with the timeline of chapters 1-39, where the Babylonian captivity clearly hasn't taken place yet. Purpose of Writing: The Prophet Isaiah was primarily called to prophesy to the Kingdom of Judah. (I) there was oppression of the poor by the rich; there was desecration of the what animals eat kangaroo paws in the savanna . ]- a language history of the world" by Nicholas Ostler, who is I think neither a "loony fundamentalist atheist" nor a "loony fundamentalist Christian", like some of the people on here, so he has no axe to grind either way.). One problem with this is that the sins which are so vigorously condemned in 40-66 are the sins of the pre-captivity ie the sins before going into exile in Babylon, they are the sins of Israel and Judah prior to the destruction of the Northern tribes and Judah prior to the destruction of Judah in the early 500s bc. besides me there is no God; 4 Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. If Chapter 53 could be prophesied by a prophet could not the very same prophet have predicted a deliverer by name, i.e. Reasonable difficulties also meet to accept the fact that a prophet could know precisely the name of the Persian king Cyrus who, almost two centuries later, would liberate Israel from the Babylonian captivity. Cross posted at, @Henry - tense has nothing to do with it. Of course, the higher critics of the period took this and ran with it. Daniel served in the royal court of Nebuchadnezzar and several rulers who followed Nebuchadnezzar. This conviction would have proved to be of considerable use to the Jewish people, exiled to Babylon two centuries later, helping to propitiate the favors of the new sovereign. Nothing will be left, says the Lord. @Coelacanth: The traditional view is that sections were added to the book of Isaiah later. Vaticinium ex eventu is a form of hindsight bias. This happened with the Letter to the Hebrews. wensleydale cheese sauce. Don't see "proof" one way or the other. Isaiah is the only author represented in the book. There is no good reason to doubt it was all written by the Prophet Isaiah whose prophetic ministry had started by 739 BC when King Uzziah died (Isaiah 6:1) and who died after the death of King Hezekiah, in the sole reign of King Manasseh which began 686 BC. Portions of 139 were written during the exile. and to whom hath the arm of the Lord been In Cave One of Qumran, archaeologists found a complete 24-foot-long scroll of Isaiah, which contained all 66 chapters of the book. However, it seems that Babylon itself was not taken by Cyrus in 539 BC. Books and articles that equip you for deeply biblical thinking and ministry. Sargon's Palace was magnificent and Isaiah mentioning him by name shows that he was a contemporary, thus making the writing of the book of Isaiah dated towards the end of the eighth cenrtury B.C. There is quite a break in language, content, themes, style, even theology at the beginning of Deutero-Isaiah. 777 years before King Jesus died in 30 AD. Note2: In Christian world, this sort of "I told you so" fulfillment lead to disputes of when a text is actually written. Connect and share knowledge within a single location that is structured and easy to search. Sargon II, subdued by the Hittites, defeated the Egyptians in Rafia and overthrown the reign of Urartu, managed to keep Babylon and the Medes under control during the whole period of his reign, while Sennacherib brutally destroyed it (689), after having done of Nineveh the first city of the empire and having in vain besieged Jerusalem (701). The language fell into decay and its military terms would have fallen more quickly into oblivion, seeing as there was no longer any Assyrian Army after 609 bc. In this regard, Gerolamo wrote: "Scio ad hoc capitulo non solum Latinorum, sed Graecorum plurimos vehementer errare, existimantium scriptum esse : "Sic dicit Dominus Christo meo, Domino"; ut intelligatur, juxta illud quod alibi legimus: "Et: Dixit Dominus Domino meo" (Ps 110.1). The oldest copy of Isaiah we have is from the Dead Sea Scrolls, dated from around 175 BC. The Introduction to Isaiah, Old Testament Study Guide for Home-Study Seminary Students (2014) states: The book of Isaiah was written sometime during the ministry of Isaiah (approximately 740701B.C. Does ZnSO4 + H2 at high pressure reverses to Zn + H2SO4? After the captivity the Jews were exceedingly careful not to worship the idols of the surrounding nations. have not I held my peace even of old, and thou fearest me not? eballerina96. and bring down as fugitives all the Babylonians, In Daniel and Ezra there are whole passages in Aramaic because it was the lingua franca both in the time of Daniel and in the time of Ezra.