She is a nurse by profession, an agnostic and questions the existence of God. Thank you would like to hear your comments. Im no better than any other sinner because Im a sinner as well. and God bless you Mr Yancey . That idea came from the poet Gerard Manley Hopkins, in a sermon he wrote. Second Opinion, October, 1994, Edwin R. DuBose, review of Pain, p. 111. I mailed the letter to Brian Harder and Misty McLaughlin by registered mail that evening. This article was originally posted on October 1, 2003, on Christianity Today. I have a question. Ramazan also told me that Brian was bullying him, after his daughter had asked him one time why he had let Brian Harder shout at him and say the things that he had said to him on the phone. I liken him to one of the philosophers Paul addressed so wisely in Acts 17only, of course, Peterson is already familiar with the Christian story. It affects me discouraged a lot so I lost my motivation to have relationship with the Lord by not reading the Bible or prayer. You have read my mind, answered questions, said things many Christians I know wouldnt have the courage to say, ministered to me, soothed me, moved my soul and in doing so have changed my life and enriched my walk in faith. Troodon. I read you comments concerning your struggles with mental illness and the lack of resources available. I have read Prayer and it fundamentally changed my prayer life. The best part is that they all say Have faith or GOD has a plan I know the scriptures and the scriptures are real in my head, not my heart (religious folks in 3..2..1..) How many times does a person have to ask GOD for a relationship and nothing. Nunnally, a professor of Hebrew and early Judaism made this statement. We are about the same age (Im two years older). Lots of miracles. After 45 years of marriage I have learned a few things and maybe its time to collect them! Wellington, South Africa. So when COVID, and job loss, and the deaths of my kids grandparents, and depression, and anxiety all joined forces to wallop my family and send me careening onto on my backside, I seemingly had no way to pull myself back up. Stephanie C. Your gracious letter in this life is more than enough. After the Wedding, Word Inc. (Waco, TX), 1976. I dont feel very wise, but I do feel old! I now work in mens residential Christian Rehabilitation center in Scotland (see website address). However, I didnt feel the process of releasing the book would be complete until I had expressed my thanks to you for writing it. These books have been very helpful and challenging for me. Clearly, the highest loyalty we should have is not to our own country or our own religion or our hometown or even to ourselves. Please advise. This truly encourages me. I was delighted to hear from you this morning. (https://www.netgrace.org/) who have convinced me that many of the accusations are 100% right. [41] As noted earlier, Brad had indicated to me in an e-mail in November that he considered the issues between Paul to more about Paul than about me [22]. Again.thank you again for your response! While reading your book called Whats so amazing about grace? , I found their answers was full of contradictions. Please join us in praying for our country. You may not have felt that receptive at various stages, but you stayed open and tuned in to Gods promptings in your life. We always have and we always will.. For me, a prostitute is no longer a filthy thing, but a broken little girl forced to grow up the hard way. I have two boys and a daughter who are in their early teens. During one of those calls he said, You told me you blew up at an inmate, and that sometimes you need to blow up at inmates. Despite having traveled a vast distance from my conservative Christian origins, Ive never ceased to be moved his books. Just after the evaluation team left, the chapel was sealed off to have asbestos removed and to have a new carpet put down. I told her what happened to me after I reported Gord Domineys sexual abuse of young offenders at the Edmonton Young Offenders Center, and Don Westmans voyeurism at the Fort Saskatchewan Correctional Centre. One of his duties was to oversee the Mennonite M2W2 program. They can only read Urdu language. Attached to this letter you will find a copy of the complaint that I recently submitted to the Alberta Human Rights Commission. How then did Christian doctrine evolve into such complexity? All the editions of the book itself, regardless of cover, are the same. It took me a long time to get a job and three years ago I worked in a place where I was completely dissatisfied, unmotivated, miserly, and in a position that any teenager knew without effort and did not need to finish high school to occupy it. Thanks again for sharing your openness and insightful work with the rest of us. Heres the link to the youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3EfssqGuQM, Benjamin, Stick with Moltmann and the rewards will come through; he does require effort, though. This past week I told a friend about the terrible living conditions and wishing we could do more. Realizing that overcoming this anger is part of the process and is a mixture of philosophical and practical elements, I wanted to pick your brain and get your recommendations for someone who wants to move forward in faith but at times just cant seem to move beyond the anger/bitterness from past sleightsjust curious what the game changers were in your life to move beyond the pain in your religious upbringing. I really think they could help the boys as much as they have helped me. I am so sorry to hear of your loss. My name is Ephraim. Thank you for calling out evangelical Christians supporting Mr Trump. I can tell you within nanoseconds when that very asteroid will pass us again 1,000 years from now. Living in Africa & Japan as well as the US and working with & reading about many different kinds of Christians as a pastor, missionary & bookaholic has helped me so much, and your book will help my younger friend broaden her horizons a bit more quickly. One thing that kept me going was my hope that Paul would not be around much longer. It was your book who made me look and understand that through pain, God revealed His plan for us. Dear Philip, Thank you for writing What is so Amazing About Grace! As a 63-year-old Christian, I have been stirred by the topic of grace for the past 3 to 4 years. [T]he so-called parents of the children who were massacred were merely Crisis Actors employed for a government-sponsored propaganda campaign to push for gun-control. you write next! Jesus talks about not being able to serve God and Money, yet our culture has glorified the comforts we enjoy thru money- to the point where when everything doesnt go our way we decide to fix it. It has been life-changing for me. God is still redeeming the world and asking us to participate. This one took me about a month and a half. I have changed quite a bit since then. My question is: what tradition or expression of the church do you worship in? Its one of my favorite times of the year: Christianaudio.com does their $7.49 sale. To examine and live in the presence of God, in countless ways that I never would have considered. Signed Stuck, Dear Stuck, I am hesitant to answer because the Internet has changed the rules and the game. (You do not give the citation) Thanks. I am sending you this e-mail because there are several questions popped up while reading your book. I can hardly find the words to express how much your books have positively affected me. Thank you for what you do, and please keep it up! The problem with cut-and-dried is that it tends to produce a self-satisfied morality: OK, Ive kept all these laws, so Im better than other people. Our human pleasure is a mere glimpse of what God must feel. I always find myself in the middle of realization and reflection. Both were shocked and told me to hang in there, they found out that Debbie Lindsey a YWAM staff member in Saint John had (later a VineYard pastor with her husband) called Capt. To be honest I am, by personality and church background, a legalist, and for much of my life I have lived with a conception of God as a kind of stern parent or teacher who keeps a ledger of all my successes and failures. It was a picture of Graham Spilsby. What it did for me, I have been convinced it would do for others, especially non-believers. I could not speak to any male as they arranged a plane ticked back to YWAM LA I was treated shamfully and illegally . Philip. The fact that just from the distance of the Moon you can put your thumb up and you can hide the Earth behind your thumb. Shortly afterwards, a couch appeared in my office. (With Tim Stafford) The Student Bible, Zondervan (Grand Rapids, MI), 1988, published as The Student Bible: New International Version, 1996, revised edition published as The Student Bible: Updated New American Standard, 1999. Gwen and Mike invited me into their home to look after their 5-year old son when they were both working the same shift. . Fortunately, since the same guard had checked the envelope both before and after it left the Institution, he was able to confirm that there had been no unauthorized transfer of goods out of or into the prison. But what is the truth. With hundreds of different denominations within the Christian faith, how do we really know I want you to know how much your journey through your writings has impacted my life. Hi Philip, In the midst of my preparations, Dr. Beckner called to tell me that the need for my services was greater at the Edmonton Institution. Read your book Disappointed with GOD. In fact, as Ive pointed out before, the biggest group of givers on Kiva is Atheists, second are Christians. I cannot agree with the premise of mutual exclusivity between Gods sovereignty and Gods love. Hi, Gordon, What do you do when you desperately need miracles from a God who doesnt even seem to be giving responses???? We are to love people to Christ and spread Good News, not resort to name-calling and ostracism. This is the first Philip Yancey book most of us have read so we are excited to explore this new author and his writings, and hopefully gain some clarification on this topic. Well, here is a feedback of a very happy inhabitant of those countries. Im sorry, but my hands are tied. Like all man-made religions, it is the untruth people are used to I will keep you in prayer Ken, but please do not give up on our Heavenly Father nor his word! Yes, I know God is valid but I dont understand what is going on. In my childhood church, sermons on Sunday mornings and evenings were filled with images of hellfire and brimstone, and in Awana some of the first verses we memorized included Romans 3:23, For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and Romans 6:23a, For the wages of sin is death. Around Halloween, the church youth ministry would host a hell house with frightening rooms filled with demons, darkness, and large knives and bloody bones (thanks to a butcher who was a member of the church)followed by a message on hell and an invitation to repent and be saved. Good work. And yet, I turned to Him still. But, a significant part of me has been lost and I feel guilty about leaving the church that gave so much to me and my family. This book has been such a ministry to me and it literally breathes life into me every time I read it. I love your spirit, Lisa. Is he neither able nor willing? As much as I appreciate your dedication to the Lord, I have to say that your comments in CT recently are off base. You have expressed the writers life so well, in ways I could not articulate, or even understand about myself until I read your books. The book you mention, Rumors, was retitled A Skeptics Guide to Faith and is still in print. However as you can guess, the Evangelical section is against this. I still love the bible as well, but it too is only scratching the surface of Gods unsearchable ways (Rom 11:33-36), [] Gateway interviewed Philip Yancey, who, along with the late Dr. Paul Brand, wrote Fearfully and Wonderfully: The Marvel of Bearing []. Then I thought it would be awesome if I ever get one chance to talk to Goethe, the man who died in 1832. It can be watched for free via an app from Google Play Store or Apples App Store: The Chosen-TV Series..