The station tried to reach the woman seen laughing in the video but was not able to do so. eventAction: 'render' "I'm concerned about mandating them [masks]. ! one user shared on Reddit. Michigan Student Killed by 14-Year-Old and 13-Year-Old Boys in Attempted Carjacking After Offering Them Ride to Home. The shaming worked perfectly well and there were no further incidents. How we dress and signs we carry and messages on clothing are all markers of what group you belong to," said Bernstein, whostudies memory, language and judgment. }); Thousands have called for Casher's position at Cigna to be terminated, although the company has not commented to the Daily News Journal. I've volunteered for over 20 years, and I'm glad to comply with their standards. We're killing people. States have varying restrictions on who can employ felons. Her name is Erika Casher; no confirmation from @cigna AFAIK but seeing rumors that shes been fired. People can and will refuse to do business with a firm that pays such a creature a salary. All they care about is their image. eventAction: 'click_adunit' If it was a pro-life organization, they should have the ability to fire employees who show up at pro choice rallies if the state laws allow it. When she supports actions that make more people get sick and die, she is acting at cross purposes to her company, costing thrm more money in payouts. I saw that in Williamson County obviously, they did.. is different than sitting in the front row of a public forum, jeering, rolling your eyes, and advocating for no masks. The client wrote in the contract that it was our (the general contractor) responsibility to enforce onto all construction personnel that there would be no cat calling toward his employees. These Are the 13 Marines & Service Members Who Died in the Afghanistan Attack at Kabul Airport. This I can agree with. "I think people are mixing religion with politics.". She's unqualified by demonstrating a lack of compassion. pg.acq.push(function() { When instant karma strikes. health care personnel to publicly fight against hand washing and sterile technique, as an employer? They are fire her for any reason or no reason ar all. Erika Casher, a white woman who was seen laughing at a student as he spoke about his grandmother's death due to Covid-19, has been fired from her job. I want to pass on the gift of reading. "All ideas will be heard and people choose ones that are the best. Anger is normal, inherently neither positive or negative. "If you get somebody upset, they make stupid decisions, and if you keep someone upset, they will continue to make stupid decisions.". At a rally about CHILDREN, of all things. but there's something about this case that makes Cigna's actions more defensible--her private conduct overlapped with her joba nurse mocking public health measuresdirectly reflects on Cigna's mission to protect health (=pay as few claims as possible). "If people get their news from social media and seek only one perspective, they are like people who eat all their meals at fast-food restaurants. Cue here, Casher's laugh. What is the Net Worth of Robert Rashford? We are killing people. Cause of Death. His grandmother reportedly lived in the Adams Place retirement community in Murfreesboro before she died of Covid-19. Thats why you watch your social media posts. People directed criticism of Casher at Cigna. A Tennessee high school student was speaking at his district's school board meeting to advocate for masks in schools when adults laughed at him as he talked about his grandmother who died of COVID-19. In a video that has gone viral on social media, a Tennessee high schooler makes a passionate plea for masks for the health and well-being of himself, his family, and his classmates. READ NEXT: These Are the 13 Marines & Service Members Who Died in the Afghanistan Attack at Kabul Airport, Erika Casher: Tennessee Cigna Nurse Caught on Video, Copyright 2023 Heavy, Inc. All rights reserved. Twitter Video Explanation. He has used to take away our individual freedoms for the past year He also added that masks should be a parents choice. Please fire her immediately. I'm so fucking sick of these people who are willing to let others die so they won't be inconvenienced by wearing a mask or getting a shot. I suspect very few, probably only her friends and neighbors. SHAMEFUL: When A RUTHERFORD COUNTY STUDENT tells the board his grandmother, a former Rutherford County Schools teacher, DIED OF COVID because someone wasnt wearing a mask anti-maskers behind him LAUGH and INTERRUPT HIM, the caption read. "If that gives them meaning, then its very hard to be open to other ideas and they become intransigent.". They are at greater risk than me. so I dont want to give them COVID. But somehow, elected officials appear to be exempt. Thay can terminate you if you are charged with a crime. With-in their right to terminate her employment. Many users put their skills together to identify her as a Registered Nurse. document.querySelector("#ads").addEventListener('click',function(){ It's just bad business to do anything else especially in the age where people can and do find out where you work. Even public sector employees have rules on what they can and can't do or say both on and off the job. Part of whats occurring now is related to the COVID-19 pandemic, which has produced stress and frustration. But in the video that has gone viral on social media, one can see Knox being ridiculed, even laughed at, by some in the school board meeting audience. "Many chalk it up (bad behavior) to righteous anger and justify it because, after all, they are right and everyone else is wrong,"Touchton said. Maybe it will cause her to reevaluate her behavior. Headless Body of Missing Model Found in Refrigerator of Hong Kong Slaughter House as Police Arrest Ex-Husband and Father-In-Law, Who Was Jack Snyder? More:Smyrna father of four helps lead 'Sick Out' protest in Rutherford County for COVID-19 safety in schools, Tale of 2 states:COVID hospitalizations in Tennessee more than 5 times higher than Massachusetts. His grandmother reportedly lived at Adams Place retirement community in Murfreesboro before she died of Covid-19. Unfortunately, he passed away on January 22nd, 2023, at the age of 86, and left all the communities in shock . Tennessee has employment-at-will as many states do. hitType: 'event', This is not something we should be doing for the education of our students. }); , Read Also: Who is Sommer Bannan? They review what your doctor is doing and suggest cheaper treatments, deny some treatments outright as not medically necessary, and are quick to say the injured employee is ready to return to work. I can only imagine what her answer would be to the interview question, "Why did you leave your last job?" To assume otherwise is silly. After seeing the video of your employee, Erica Casher, laugh at a child makes me thankful I insure my family with a different company. Bernstein said the end goal is to respect differing opinions and focus on common goals. One pointed out, "I mean how ironic is it that she is holding a sign that says Let our kids smile and laughs at a tragic event this kid spoke about? Kyriakoudes is optimistic, believingpeople are capable of understanding situations and finding solutions when they focus on problems, not divisions. Or maybe she had some sort of irritating "squeaky" voice that, It's likely that someone who would publicly laugh. On social media, many criticized her for her immature behavior. Erika Casher chewing cud and laughing at a child who lost their grandma. This is why people mightbe kinder to someone they know, although opinions differ. "Hey guys, were here to act professional," Young said. I saw that and it was one of the most despicable public acts I've seen. At this point a maskless woman, dressed in a black dress, sitting on a chair behind him was seen smirking and shaking her head at the statement. An acquaintance who works for Cigna has confirmed Erikas dismissal, according to an update. In a video that has gone viral on social media, a Tennessee high school student makes a passionate call for masks, for the health and well-being of himself, his family and his schoolmates. That is what I stepped up to when I accepted the position. One of the principal ideas that lays behind the First Amendment is we have a marketplace of ideas and protection of free speech," Kyriakoudes said. Some reasons given for our retention of the at-will presumption include respect for freedom of contract, employer deference, and the belief that both employers and employees favor an at-will employment relationship over job security. If she was known as a nurse, maybe Cigna thought they would be branded by association. So, why should the newspaper print the guy's employer? Have more protection from employer interference with their free speech rights than do private sector employees. After laughing at Knox spoke about his grandmother, Erica Casher went viral on social media (Some sources have spelt her name as Erika Casher). Infection control is an absolute cornerstone of the nursing profession. However, your overall thesis that people (employees) have a right to act however they wish on their own time - is just fundamentally wrong. The woman sitting behind him had a Let Our Kids Smile sign. Press J to jump to the feed. They cant require the payment of the equivalent of union dues to the union. Our brains are wired that way to look for markers of the in group or out group.". Decides to allow you to engage in political speech, great. They are different, but strip workers of potential protection. Casher chuckled as he revealed his grandmother died of Covid-19 after being exposed to someone who didnt use a mask, while the woman behind him held a Let Out Kids Smile placard. !" one user shared on Reddit. In his speech, Knox said, "Im worried about my family. ga('ads.send', { Erika Casher. If it was a higher up that had more value another story. As behavior norms have changed in recent years, lack of civility has developed, said the Rev. I saw that in Williamson County, obviously, they did. Feeling superior has given people permission to berate and belittle others with differing views, even among evangelicals. Thats a week of instruction, a week of teacher contact that were going to miss, Knox continued. Meanwhile, in-depth media reportsare replaced by sound bytes that appeal to a mass audience. Any private employer can fire your ass for anything that embarrasses the business. Aside from the conflict of interest inherent in her anti-masking activism, companies freak when an employee engages in any activity that is both deplorable and high-profile. Earlier this week, on Tuesday evening, September 7, 2021, at a Rutherford County Board of Education meeting, Knox was among the seven students who asked the Board of Education to make masks mandatory. Anon-C This message was self-deleted by its author. One month ago, Casher has expressed her own public position on COVID-19 and masks at the local school district. COVID obviously is real. If it was a higher level what had more value another story. But, I know. Because the real issue here isn't JUST her inappropriate behavior toward the boy, it's that she's fighting a rational public health measure, publicly. https://t.co/ot6xWPg8qq, This article was first published According to the lawsuit, the Girardis were. Upholding public health measures that are based on science, a cornerstone of the nursing profession. The insensitivity is created by tying local issues to national partisan views, Kyriakoudes said. "Her name is Erika Casher and she works for @cigna. She was acting in her capacity as a private citizen, not as an employee of the company. Read More: Gloom, Skyler Joy, Mikayla Demaiter, Abby Labar, Shayna Saide Age, Wiki, Husband, Mother and Biography. If she robbed a bank, she would have a felony conviction. She works in an at-will employment state, so legally it's moot. #BoycottCigna," tweeted a user. This is who is making decisions about your healthcare? hitType: 'event', In a conversation with WKRN News, Casher said: Im concerned about putting [masks] on them. No, she was at a public forum debating against accepted public health practices for the safety of children and staff in public schools. let gads_event; If she shows such an anti-health attitude at work, then she should get another job. But the Constitution and federal law do not require them to do so. Online records show that Casher is 36 years old and lives in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. In his guilty plea, Grady Knox said his grandmother had died from Covid because someone wasnt wearing a mask. But behind him sits a grown woman making fun of him. We had a wise old superintendent who took the entire erection crew aside and mentioned that those women could be their mothers or sisters and how would they like the catcalling on their own family. Just an update, an acquaintance who works with @Cigna has verified that #ErikaCasher was fired yesterday, said one social media user. If a private employer, Removed the reference - certainly looked like her, Someone posted a screenshot of her real one but she has since deactivated it. Thank you for visiting. Does that mean I should approve of at-will employment? It has become so predictable. What if you put yourself in the role of the anarchist employer rather than that of the anarchist employee? Woman in viral TikTok video refuses to wear mask on JetBlue flight, causes 3-hr delay, Anti-masker Busta Rhymes called a 'clown' for screaming 'Covid could suck a d**k'. Not true now - and there's never been a time when it has been. A Twitter user said, "some people are just rotten" while another added, "a good rule of thumb is that the good guys are usually not laughing at 15 year olds recounting the death of their grandmother". I work for a large healthcare organization and part of orientation was warning us. So many companies do that these days, which often works against the employee. Are they health care professionals publicly fighting against masks? "This is an avoidable issue and by not wearing masks in schools, it's irresponsible. Her actions are directly related to her work. professionals do. Erika Casher, a white woman who was seen laughing at a student as he spoke about his grandmother's death due to Covid-19, has been fired from her job. How do these people not know about social media??? what happened to erika casher. I'm talking about "ought," not "is.". The debate was organized after multiple schools in Tennessee announced that they would be closing in the wake of the rising COVID-19 cases. Of course, I am glad she got what she deserved. Nurse Tough Love on TikTok. This is not something we should be doing for the education of our students. n/t. by | Jun 9, 2022 | if you unfriend someone on facebook, do their tags disappear | raf wildenrath married quarters | Jun 9, 2022 | if you unfriend someone on facebook, do their tags disappear | raf wildenrath married quarters hitType: 'event', His crew were somewhat uncivilized and there were complaints almost immediately. Cigna, where Cashers now-deleted social media profiles said she worked, has not verified that. As long as shes not a protected class and she is not be fired in a discriminatory way. However, MEAWW cannot independently verify this information. On September 7, 2021, The Murfreesboro Holler in Tennessee shared a video of the woman identified as Casher sitting behind a young man named Grady Knox who spoke at that meeting. A perspective that I think you are missing is this: It would appear we've had different life experiences. Thank you, Cigna. For the families of victims killed in unsolved murders, life is at a standstill. At-will means they could hire or fire someone for accidents of nature, not for cause. Thank you, he concluded. If this is the type of person reviewing my medical claims, I'm leaving your company. At an Aug. 12 school board meeting, the registered nurse spoke against mandating masks, saying,"Its been used to take away our individual liberties over the last year.. Well, that disposes of one objection, anyway. The Murfreesboro Holler wrote in an update on Facebook, JUST NOW: Rutherford County Schools approves a mask mandate for 30 days (it will be undercut by Gov. That story contains this line, Erica Casher laughs as a Rutherford County Schools student talks about the impact of his grandmothers death from COVID-19., Hey @cigna, why is your employee Erika Casher laughing at this grieving young man who is 10 times as smart and 10000 times as human as she is? By that reasoning, Sir, it is reasonable for Hobby Lobby to fire a woman for using birth control. Who is Erika Casher. At an Aug. 12 school board meeting, the registered nurse spoke against mandating masks, saying, "It's been used to take away our individual liberties over the last year." MTSU's Stuart Bernstein: Vaccines, masks become 'wedge issues' Florida Teacher Suspended After He Made White Students Act as Servants For Black Students, Who Was Abby Choi? Casher was quoted in an August 2021 story by WKRN-TV that described her as a registered nurse. }); People are paying the price for ignorance. You know.. the case manager who openly mocked a teenager while he talked about the death of his grandmother. The fact she was front row and filmed being an asshole is almost beside a the point. She's a nurse mocking a boy who was describing his grandmother's death: one would expect even an off-duty nurse to show compassion and appropriate affect/demeanor. }); eventCategory: event.slot.getSlotElementId(), These reactions, whichStuart Bernstein, a cognitive psychologist at Middle Tennessee State University, deemedinsensitive and angry, are rooted in gut-based decisions based on stereotypes. Do you think the Speaker of the House should be able to fire elected Representatives? They are higher risk than me, so I dont want to give them COVID." My objection is not that they can fire her, but if they should be allowed to fire her for this reason. According to an unverified tweet, Erica Casher was allegedly fired from her job at Cigna. Its unhealthy. Despite the boos, Knox remained calm and paused for a few seconds. Many users joined her skills to identify her as a registered nurse. Were that the case, while I would disagree with the act, it would be within an employer's rights, under present law. I agree with your reaction to this, and the feeling of wrongness. I had just reread Charlottes Web to with neighbor kids, that's why I remembered the phrase. Despite the heckling, Knox kept his cool and stopped for a few seconds. Wiki, Biography, Age, Allison Paynes Husband, Death. This lady had a good job. As per an unverified tweet, Erica Casher was allegedly fired from her job at Cigna. window.adsContainer = {"position2":{"code":"Article_Mobile_Above_Next_Rel","max_width":300,"max_height":250},"position3":{"code":"Article_Mobile_300x250_ATF_Rel","max_width":300,"max_height":250},"position4":{"code":"Article_Mobile_Middle_Rel","max_width":300,"max_height":250},"position5":{"code":"Article_Mobile_Middle1_Rel","max_width":300,"max_height":250},"position6":{"code":"Article_Mobile_Middle2_Rel","max_width":300,"max_height":250},"position7":{"code":"Article_Mobile_Middle3_Rel","max_width":300,"max_height":250},"position8":{"code":"Article_Mobile_Middle4_Rel","max_width":300,"max_height":250},"position9":{"code":"Article_Mobile_Middle5_Rel","max_width":320,"max_height":250},"position10":{"code":"Article_Mobile_Middle6_Rel","max_width":320,"max_height":250},"position11":{"code":"Article_Mobile_Middle7_Rel","max_width":320,"max_height":250},"position12":{"code":"Article_Mobile_Middle8_Rel","max_width":320,"max_height":250},"position13":{"code":"Article_Mobile_Middle9_Rel","max_width":320,"max_height":250},"position14":{"code":"Article_Mobile_Middle10_Rel","max_width":320,"max_height":250},"position15":{"code":"Article_Mobile_Middle11_Rel","max_width":320,"max_height":250},"position16":{"code":"Article_Mobile_Middle12_Rel","max_width":320,"max_height":250}}