Philip was often quoted saying that being a parent was the best things that ever happened to him and his favorite years in his life was when he was raising his girls. In the end, she decided to stick with the show up until it came to an end after four seasons. In 2017, she told fans that her father called her "Dove." "My father always called me dove. The Real Reason Dove Cameron Changed Her Name. [But] the idea of never being seen is an absolute terror. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The actress was born Chloe Celeste Hosterman . It's the same reason I go and get tattoos so often. Ultimately, Dove Cameron changed her name to better represent her identity, her heritage, and her aspirations as an artist. She works with multiple singers of different genres who range from seasoned singers to singers who have never sung before. (Her good friends and lovers refer to her as Chloe; its Dove for the rest of us.) From the outside looking in, it would appear that actress Dove Cameron lives a charmed life. "Right whenLiv and Maddiehad started, there was no roadmap for how to do a show where one girl played two," she told Playbill. They officially got married in Descendants: The Royal Wedding and are now living happily ever after. These cookies ensure basic functionalities and security features of the website, anonymously. Cameron and Dove did not date. In case you were wondering, Dove Cameron isn't actually her real name. When she was 23, Dove's good friend and. 5. "To the most beautiful man I have ever known, and my best friend," she wrote. Her whole thing is one big joke. Cameron explained to her fans, and all of us, that the reason she changed her name to Dove is because it was her father's nickname for her. And if I do, I keep going, like I know it's going to pass. Losing a parent at any age is devastating, and we admire Cameron for handling her grief with such grace. A significant feature of the series is that Dove Cameron plays dual roles, one being Liv, an actress who has returned to her home after starring on a popular television series in Hollywood for four years, and the other one being Maddie, Livs identical twin who remained behind. Liv Rooney Olivia Liv Rooney (Dove Cameron) is one of a pair of identical twins of the Rooney family. In a recent tweet, Dove Cameron reminded us she wasn't born Dove Cameron and the reason she changed her name is heartbreaking. It does not store any personal data. [LAUGHS] At the courthouse. In 1988, Philip married his girlfriend, Bonnie Wallace in Peshawar, Pakistan. 2 Answers The actress was born Chloe Celeste Hosterman, but decided to legally change it when she got into acting. Guys, I really needed to explain something to you, she said to her fans. "And the only way I could really get out of that was by being somebody else. Dove Olivia Cameron was born Chloe Celeste Hosterman on January 15, 1996 in Bainbridge Island, Washington to Bonnie J. Wallace, an acting coach & Philip Alan Hosterman, a chief executive officer/founder of Kandahar Trading Company. "That's something that I'm learning right now.". something that many other Disney stars before her had struggled with. With that close a connection to her late father, it's no surprise Dove would do what she could to keep his memory alive. She loves a good story, even if she has to write it herself. Cameron told Refinery29 she got it because, to do something for the raw, sexual, female natural energy of the world and do it on behalf of that, instead of doing it from a diminished, demure P.O.V. How did Dove Cameron change her name legally? no hate at all. Recalling how she'd felt during her younger days, Cameron said she would think to herself, "These kids don't like me, they don't accept me.". Cameron was 15 when her own father died by suicide inspiring her to legally change her name to "Dove," her father's nickname for her. From insecurities about her looks to a heartbreaking loss in her family, the platinum blonde TV star has dealt with her fair share of suffering all before she even entered her 20s. She tweeted, "Yes but it has made me that much more disciplined in my thoughts. You could also call her a parodic expression of the system that has misunderstood the woman cast to play her for so long, delivered with subversive humor. Dove Cameron Before and After A surprising number of teenagers are seeking out facial cosmetic procedures, reports the Daily Mail and plastic surgeons say they're being influenced by their favourite celebrities. "He took his own life, and he also was closeted, which we only found out after he died," the actress told Entertainment Weekly. Whos Dove Cameron? she muses. "I'd really like to write a movie about him one day," she revealed to EW, "because my dad was just the most fascinating human being. ", Following her dad's passing, Cameron and her mom moved to Los Angeles where she enrolled in a new school. Hosterman's nickname for his daughter was always "Dove," so the actress felt it was a natural choice. The actress was born Chloe Celeste Hosterman but decided to legally change it when she got into acting. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Performance". ), @DoveCameron how did you come up w the name dove? Sofia also dated Nolan Gerard Funk and Thomas Law in 2016. She initially changed it to Riley, but eventually steeled with Emma as it was closer to her real name (via W Magazine ). ", Many people don't realize that, like many other celebrities, Dove Camerondoesn't go by her real name. Dove Cameron's pop music career has been taking off, and she's making it perfectly clear who her intended audience is. Shes motivated by what she describes as a compulsive and deep need to protect [her] humanity, which manifests in candid conversations about mental health, the kind of wisdom that comes from therapy. Claire doesnt shy away from talking about the effects of her dads suicide, and she is one of the most vocal celebrity advocates of suicide prevention. Are Liv and Maddie real twins? We're glad to hear that Cameron is coming into her own and living life her way. Below is Dove Cameron's tragic real-life story. Cameron changed her legal name to Dove after her father, who called her by that nickname, died. While she's in a much better place these days, she has admitted to feeling down about her appearance in the past. When Cameron was just 15 years old, her family was struck by tragedy when her father, Philip Alan Hosterman, took his own life (via Entertainment Weekly). 1 Why did Dove Cameron change her whole name? Its great when someone understands the parody that theyre doing and can almost parody themself, in a way Shes very kind, very thoughtful, and I really think that when you consider the industry that shes in and how long shes been in it is a miracle., While Cameron waits for the July 16 premiere of, I dont want to pick a sound, she says. @DoveCameron. 2 : the color of the hair of a platinum blonde. It does not store any personal data. She studied at Sakai Intermediate School and participated in theatre performances of her community. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. She explained the heartbreaking backstory on social media, saying that "Dove" was actually a nickname her dad, Philip Hosterman, used to call her. She has an older sister named Claire Hosterman and shes a great performer as well, though not as known as her younger sister is. So while fans will recall that Dove has always been Dove Cameron, at least since she started on her Disney journey, that wasn't the name she was born with. The cookies is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Necessary". I know that wherever you are you know all of this, and you laugh at me when I speak as though you're gone. Out of these, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. She was washing my hair, and she said, I love you, Im in love with you. I was like, Im in love with you, too. We were 8, but it continued from there into our early adulthood we held hands, we would kiss, it was early love. She always knew she wasnt straight. You could call Betsy the physical manifestation of the male gaze. And we wouldn't be surprised if her former classmates are now kicking themselves for not befriending the weird chick who wore all the eccentric costumes! What the title/chorus actually revolves around is the . Cameron was 15 when her own father died by suicide inspiring her to legally change her name to "Dove," her father's nickname for her. Humanity is confusing. You taught me how to love, and you are love to me. Teen Vogue covers the latest in celebrity news, politics, fashion, beauty, wellness, lifestyle, and entertainment. Instead, she decided to just "power through" it by refusing to let it take over her life. Dove Cameron: Why Did She Change Her Name? Wallace is on good terms with both of her daughters and an active participant in their lives. She explained, "A lot of performers are, that's just the nature of performing it completely relies on how people feel about you. But in an interview. These cookies help provide information on metrics the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc. So it has been a blessing in disguise.". Forever your best friend, and your little girl.". "So I don't ever really feel full days of that. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Other. Dove Cameron came out as queer in 2021. I do not think I will survive this. The actress and singer recently spoke with . She wrote on Instagram that Dove was her fathers nickname for her. Aphrodite was an Olympian goddess of love, beauty, and sexuality. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement and Your California Privacy Rights. When she was 23, Doves good friend and, Of course, Cameron is more than her tragedies: When she was 14, she and her mother moved to Los Angeles so Dove, who had been, A bisexual Francophile who falls hard and fast, Cameron has always been a romantic. Dove is not the only talented one in her family. "When I found that out [that he was closeted], I was like, everything adds up," she said, before describing him as a sensitive person who had "bursts of anger. Some of the most devastating moments of her youth included when a group of girls locked her in a janitor's closet and when other students would attempt to trip her as she walked down the hallways. As some of you know, my father passed away a few years ago, right around the time I started acting. Why did Dove Cameron change her whole name? Marla Maples Surprisingly Thanked Donald Trump During A Speech At Their Daughter Tiffany's Wedding, Donald Trump Was Paid $1 Million For A Pizza Hut Commercial But He Made The Company Millions Putting 'Stuffed Crust' On The Map, Dave Bautista Sent Hollywood A Clear Message Blatantly Turning Down A Franchise Worth $6 Billion. Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors. Cameron Boyce ACTUALLY bleached his hair for the film. White Supremacy Is To Blame For The Buffalo Massacre. is both powerful and what we need right now.. Dove's dad, Philip Alan Hosterman, took his own life. "I feel as though I understand you more and more as I begin to understand myself in these formative years, and although it can't ever replace the years I've lost with you, I know I am never without you because you are in me. I just stumbled across a troth of depression., Cameron plays Betsy, an all-American blonde bombshell in pigtails and a form-fitting country-girl dress. Although she nailed the characters' different personalities flawlessly, the role pushed her into unchartered waters. Learning that her dad was gay was a light bulb moment for her, providing her with more clarity about the devastating situation than she could have ever imagined. Dove Cameron Posts Tribute to Dad on the 5-Year Anniversary of His Death. He died on July 6, 2019, after having an epileptic seizure in his sleep. Cameron has always used her Twitter to talk about important issues that not only she has faced but that a lot of kids have also experienced. Her birth name was actually Chloe, and a fan asked her on Twitter, "how did you come up with the name Dove?" "My father always called me Dove," she replied. Instead, she studied vocal techniques and became a voice coach. In the Instagram post, she called him the most beautiful man I have ever known, and my best friend., Cameron explained to her fans, and all of us, that the reason she changed her name to Dove is because it was her fathers nickname for her. 1 Why did Dove Cameron changed her whole name? The young persons guide to conquering (and saving) the world. Liv Rooney/Played by I raised my hand and everything. Although she dealt with the disorder "a lot," she didn't resort to medication to combat it. Philip Alan Hosterman was born in Seattle, Washington, the USA on July 22, 1944 ( age 75 years; as in 2019 ). Descendants Mal (played by Dove Cameron) is the daughter of Maleficent (Sleeping Beauty) Hades is her father, who left her mother when she was a baby. It appears that Sofia is not currently dating anyone. he took his own life when i was 15, i didn't get to say goodbye, so i changed it in honor of him https://t.co/jYa69Sboeo, Dove Cameron (@DoveCameron) September 22, 2017, It's like every time someone calls you Dove. But when she was 15, she changed her legal name. Legally. Cameron mentioned this sentiment in her tribute from last year, saying that through the years, she and her sister Claire feel that their father has stayed close. Several media reports linked him to Sofia Carson, Brenna DAmico and Sophie Reynolds. She revealed, "But there was also a part of me that really wanted to wear makeup all the time [when I was younger], because I felt like I wasn't beautiful underneath it.". The 25-year-old actor opens our Zoom conversation with a poetic observation about atomic, golden sparks of human connection, and any expectations for pat and easy answers filtered through the peppy teen queens she portrays on screen are out the window. She has portrayed Kayla Morgan on the DCOM, Cloud 9. Dove Olivia Cameron, who was born Chloe Celeste Hosterman on January 15, 1996, is an American actress and singer who stars in the Disney Channel Original Comedy series, Liv and Maddie. Tons of celebrities change their names at the beginning of their careers, whether because their agents recommend it or because they opt for something a little catchier (or easier to pronounce) than what they were born with.